2Days Great Rift Valley Lakes ,megalithic Site Tiya & Addadi Mariam
Discover the nature and wildlife in Ethiopian part of the Great East African Rift Valley and get a deeper insight of the local’s way of life with this two days tour from Addis Ababa by drive with private comfortable minivan and led by a professional experienced tour guide. With this tour, visit five of the Rift Valley Lakes of Ethiopia, learn the history of Ethiopia by visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Cemetery of Tiya (14th Century AD), and know more of the ancient Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity by visiting the unique rock carved church of Adadi Mariam (13th Century AD). Spot a number of lowland water birds and see families of hippos with a boat ride on Lake Ziway, enjoy swimming and water birds at Lake Langano. You will spot various birds species and see hippos with a boat ride at Lake Ziway.
per adult from
What's included :
- 1x Breakfast
- 1x Dinner
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 1 night
- Unlimited Bottle of water
- Latest Model Land Cruiser Air condition Vechicle
- Local & professional Guide
- All Entrance fee
- Entry/Admission - Adadi Maryam
- Entry/Admission - Tiya World Heritage Site
- Entry/Admission - Lake Shala
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Domestic and international flight
Day 1: Addis Ababa - Adadi Mariam Rock Church - Steles of Tiya - Lake Langano
Stop At: Langano, Langano, Oromiya Region
We meet you at your place of stay in Addis Ababa and start today’s drive of 235 km south of Addis Ababa to south to Lake Langano. The first stop today is at an outlook to enjoy the great scenery of the Ethiopian part of the Great East African Rift Valley. It is best known for its beautiful lakes and abundant birdlife.
Then crossing the Awash River and driving 12 km on dirt road, visit the ancient and still in service church of Adadi Mariam which is chiseled out of a single piece of rock in the 13th Century AD by the famous King Lalibela who carved 11 more churches in the Northern Ethiopia.
Next, drive 42 km and visit the Stelaes (huge grave stones) at the Cemetery site - the Stelaes of Tiya is one of Ethiopia’s sites listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Here you will visit beautiful carved stone grave markers erected between the 12th and 14th Century AD in honor of important local heroes (warriors).
After lunch at the town of Butajira, drive 90 km further to the Rift Valley Lake of Langano where you will enjoy swimming, bird watching, water sports, and the beautiful sunset over the lake. Along the way, visit one of the villages of the Oromo people to interact with locals, and learn their way of life.
Duration: 10 hours
Stop At: Adadi Maryam, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Adadi Mariam is a subterranean rock-hewn church similar to those of Lalibela. This church is unique as it is the southern-most church of its type, and stands alone – no other rock-hewn churches are in the area. It has been surmised that King Lalibela ordered the construction of Adida Mariam for his visit to southern Ethiopia. The site dates to the 13th century, but is still an active site of worship.
Duration: 2 minutes
Stop At: Tiya World Heritage Site, Tiya Ethiopia
Tiya is among the most important of the roughly 160 archaeological sites discovered so far in the Soddo region, south of Addis Ababa. The site contains 36 monuments, including 32 carved stelae covered with symbols, most of which are difficult to decipher. They are the remains of an ancient Ethiopian culture whose age has not yet been precisely determined.
Duration: 3 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at: Sabana Beach Resort
Day 2: Lake Langano - Abiyatta Shalla Lakes National Park - Lake Ziway - Addis Ababa
Stop At: Lake Shala, Ethiopia
After breakfast, drive for 15 minutes to the Abiyatta Shalla Lakes National Park and walk for half an hour to see Ostriches, Gazelles, Warthogs, and different lowland bird species. Then, drive 5km to a viewpoint to see the great view of the twin lakes of Abiyatta and Shalla. Lake Shalla is the deepest lake in Ethiopia and it is a breeding ground for the seasonal flamingos. If the tour is between September to June, continue driving further to visit the Natural Hot Spring waters where locals use the waters to get healed from skin diseases.
After lunch stop at the Rift Valley Lake of Langano, drive 40 km north and take a boat trip of about an hour on the Rift Valley Lake of Ziway to see families of hippos and a number of birds such as great white pelicans, Marabou Storks, African Fish Eagle, Sacred Ibis, Hammer Kops, etc.
Finally, drive back to Addis Ababa via the crater lakes of Bishoftu.
Duration: 9 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We offer pick up any Location in Addis Abeba Airports
- Bole Airport, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- During the experience we provided all the safety measures.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.