3-Day Garden Route Highlights with 4x4 Safari Small Group Tour from Cape Town
Spend three days exploring South Africa’s famed Garden Route from Cape Town, , stopping at all the best highlights the area has to offer. Wander along the Garden Route - a piece of paradise on the southeastern coast of South Africa. Adventure awaits you over the next three days. Choose to join an elephant bush walk where you’ll get to meet three orphaned elephants, walk along forest footpaths and hop in a canoe to float a river in the Wilderness area, keeping an eye out for the abundant birdlife. Face your fears as you hurtle off the world’s highest bridge bungy, or visit a 100-year old tree in the thick of the Tsitsikamma forest. Enjoy a 4x4 safari with a game ranger as you set out to spot some members of Africa’s Big Five, and connect with nature on a tranquil bush walk amongst the animals in a private game reserve. An action-packed itinerary with some scheduled free time for you to partake in optional activities scheduled or explore the nearby area.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2x Breakfast
- Accommodation included: 2 nights
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned mini coach & English speaking guide
- 4x4 game drive safari & mini walking safari
- Wilderness canoe session
- Entry/Admission - The Cango Caves
- Entry/Admission - Kaaiman's River
- Entry/Admission - Botlierskop Private Game Reserve
What's excluded :
- Lunch, dinner and drinks
- Optional Bungy jump + Zipline (about R1400)
- Optional Elephant Bush Walk (about R565)
- Entry/Admission - Buffelsdrift Game Lodge - Activities
- Entry/Admission - Bloukrans Bridge
Day 1: Cape Town - Oudtshoorn
Pass By: Oudtshoorn, 6625, South Africa
Begin your 3-day packed-paced excursion along the Garden Route from Cape Town with a drive on South Africa’s scenic Route 62. The focus is to see as much as possible in 3 days so get ready for an adventure of your life... Admire the diverse landscapes along the coast, in lush nature reserves and in the desert area of the Klein Karoo. Tour the labyrinthine Cango Caves, paddle a canoe through pristine waters and a safari game drive. Additionally, with free time in your itinerary, choose from other activities to fill your schedule — including a thrilling bungee jump from the Bloukrans Bridge (own expense). You’re also free to skip optional excursions, choosing instead to seek out tips from your guide to explore the surrounding area.
After a pickup from your central Cape Town hotel, leave the bright city lights behind and travel to the Western Cape by minibus. Gaze out at the scenery along Route 62, one of the most dramatic roads in South Africa, that meanders through the desert region of Klein Karoo as well as countryside and coastal areas from Cape to Port Elizabeth.
The journey takes around five to six hours, but several stops are factored into the journey so you can stretch your legs, take photos and eat. After venturing through the landscape of rugged plains and towering cliffs, stop in Oudtshoorn, so-called ‘ostrich capital,’ and your overnight base.
Stop At: The Cango Caves, 328 Approximately 30km (19 miles) from town on the R, Oudtshoorn 6625 South Africa
Drop your bags at your accommodation, and then enjoy a visit to Cango Caves for a tour into the depths of the caves and wander along the subterranean pathways, admiring towering stalactite and stalagmite formations. your evening is then spent at your leisure, perhaps discovering the nightlife and restaurants of Oudtshoorn.
Duration: 1 hour
No meals included on this day.
Accommodation included: Overnight at Uthando Backpackers or Tented Camp. Ask us to upgrade to 4-Star Buffelsdrift or 3-Star Yamkela Guesthouse.
Day 2: Oudtshoorn - Sedgefield
Pass By: Buffelsdrift Game Lodge - Activities, Cango Caves Road, Oudtshoorn 6620 South Africa
Check out of your Oudtshoorn accommodation in the morning, and take part in an optional orphaned "elephant bush walk’’ experience (own expense) at a nearby reserve as you join a ranger and walk alongside these gentle giants in their natural environment. Their parents were poached in the Kruger National Park, and in efforts to keep this family together; the herd was hand-reared and now roam in the vast Cango Valley at the Buffelsdrift Private Game Reserve. Every morning and late afternoon, they eagerly report to the waterhole to walk alongside their human caregivers. Visitors are welcome to join and experience these loveable creatures’ caring nature in the wild Karoo setting from a reasonable distance.
Stop At: Kaaiman's River, Wilderness South Africa
Leave the area and resume the journey along Route 62 to the region, roughly an hour away. Take to the water on an easy canoe ride (no training needed) with a local guide, and paddle along a calm river that winds its way through lush forests... Indigenous forests and campgrounds line the river bank and it’s not until you stop paddling and let the gentle current guide you, that the abundance of birdlife becomes apparent.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Bloukrans Bridge, N2, Tsitsikamma National Park South Africa
Relax on a scenic coastal drive, enjoying views of Knysna, Plettenberg Bay and Nature’s Valley, and prepare for the adrenaline-rushing view that lies ahead: one of the world’s highest bungee sites at Bloukrans Bridge. Standing 709 feet (216 meters) above the Bloukrans River, the bridge is the perfect place to face your fears with an optional bungee jump! The thrills don’t start when you jump, they begin as you zip line your way out to the jumping platform underneath the colossal bridge. If it’s not for you, get your adrenaline fix by watching the jumpers bounce through the air and then rather do a relaxing walk in the nearby Tsitsikamma forest area. The duration of the bungy jump activity can vary subject to group size and how busy it is.
Duration: 3 hours
Pass By: Sedgefield Lagoon Mouth, 69 Kingfisher Drive Myoli Beach, Sedgefield, Knysna 6573 South Africa
Then, travel to the coastal town of Sedgefield, check in to your overnight accommodation and spend the evening doing whatever you want. If time allows and the sun is still out, go for a dip in the Indian Ocean and watch the sun slip beneath the waves, or perhaps take an evening stroll along the beach— a sweep of white sand known as one of the most beautiful spots along the Garden Route.
Accommodation included: Overnight at Pili or Afrovibe Backpackers. Ask us to upgrade to 4-Star DoverOnSea or 3-Star Purple Heron Guest House
Day 3: Sedgefield – Cape Town
Stop At: Botlierskop Private Game Reserve, Gonnakraal Road, Little Brak River, 6503, South Africa
Leave your accommodation in the morning, and start the journey back to Cape Town to enjoy your last day of adventure. First on the list is a 2-hour game drive by 4x4 vehicle to see some members of the Big Five animals.
Today, these animals are some of the most elusive and exciting forms of wildlife to see on safari. Look out for African elephants, Cape buffaloes, lions and rhinos. Giraffes, antelopes, zebras and wildebeests are just some of the other animals you may see as well.
Just when you thought your bush experience couldn’t get any better, you’ll hop off your safari vehicle for an up-close and personal encounter with nature on short ±15min tranquil bushwalk. Follow your game ranger as you track wildlife through the coastal renosterveldt and Cape fynbos, keep an eye out for animal tracks, and learn about the medicinal value of the plants around you as you walk.
Then, it’s back to the van to travel back to reach Cape Town by late afternoon / early evening.
Duration: 3 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We can pick up from any hotel, guesthouse, backpackers or street address within 10km radius of Cape Town or Stellenbosch central. If your hotel is not listed, simply select "my hotel is not listed" on the drop-down menu and inform your address.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Optional activities are subject to weather conditions and cannot be guaranteed. Bungy jump optional activity waiting time can vary from 1 to 3 hours and is subject to group size and how busy it is during the time visited.
- According to availability at time of booking, accommodation will be in the mentioned hotel or in one of a similar standard and star rating in a similar area. Sedgefield accommodation will occasionally be sold out and then your accommodation will be in nearby town of Wilderness or Knysna.
- Minimum age is 10 years.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult, legal guardian or parent.
- According to availability, the itinerary can run in reverse or different route.
- Note that this tour has a packed pace with many activities and stops a day. It is advised to book a longer or private Garden Route tour if you prefer to have a more relaxed journey.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Upgrade accommodation fees cannot be refunded if cancelled less than 8 days before the tour departs.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- This tour will adhere to the TOURISM INDUSTRY STANDARD COVID-19 SAFE PROTOCOLS during the time of the pandemic as prescribed by TBCSA aligned with the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines. The protocols will be updated on an on-going basis in line with pandemic status in South Africa.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.