6 hours private tour Charyn Canyon
The Charyn canyon is a breathtaking place in the Tian-Shan mountain branches, which origin dates back to the Neogene period. The unique monument of nature, which is often compared to the Grand Canyon in the United States, is located 200 kilometers from the city of Almaty. The landscape of the area is systematically changing, thanks to which the territory of the canyon was chosen by many representatives of flora and fauna, including individuals listed in the Red Book of Kazakhstan. The most prominent and memorable places of the great gorge are the Valley of Castles, the Ash and Turang Groves, the Charyn River. The Eco Park operates on the territory of the Charyn canyon, where visitors can visit the mini-zoo, go on an off-road safari ride and quad bike, try a traditional Saka bath and have a tasty lunch at local cafes.
per adult from
8 to 9 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private transportation
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Charyn Canyon
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Charyn Canyon, Charyn National Park, Charyn River Kazakhstan
The Charyn Canyon is located in the Charyn National Park about 215km east of Almaty and approximately
a 3 hour drive via the A 351 and A 352. The Canyon has been described as the Grand Canyon’s little
brother. This is not to detract from the sheer splendor of the canyon itself. The vista of dramatic erosion
made by the river Charyn below and the elements has created a dramatic and impressive landscape.
The Canyon itself is approximately 150 km long, and, in places up to 300 meters deep.
Page 20 of 21
One area of particular interest, is an area of 2km called the Valley of Castles, due to the pillars and rock
formations forming imposing, almost man made structures.
The story of the Canyon is that it was formed about 3 million years ago as the land around the canyon
started to rise. A very large lake existed in the area around the top of the canyon and it started to
empty. Over the next million years the canyon was formed by the Charyn river. Approximately 2 million
years ago a large earthquake disturbed the flow of the river by blocking it with a land-slip. The visitor part
of the canyon then has suffered from the elements forming the rock sculptures. The Charyn River still
flows at the bottom of the canyon forming the next great canyon. Because the area used to be a large
inland sea, the deposits revealed on the sides of the canyon are relatively soft and are a geologists dream,
revealing hundreds of millions of years of the earth’s history at this location.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.