Adelaide to Perth - The Great Australian Wilderness Tour
This 10 day, 4,000km bucket list journey across the Southern coastline of Australia will leave you breathless, fascinated and connected with nature in a way you could not have imagined. Expect to be wowed by the mouth-watering seafood and incredible coastline of the Eyre Peninsula. Feel the vastness of this great land as you travel across the mighty Nullarbor and stand on the ‘Edge of Australia’ at the Head of Bight. Walk the footprint-free white sandy beaches of Esperance, taste your way around Margaret River and explore the ancient forests of the South West of Western Australia. Nature lovers will be thrilled by wildlife encounters such as swimming with wild sea lions and dolphins or coming face to face with a great white shark. At the end of each day, sit back and relax over a tantalising meal of local produce and matching wine.
- Relax on an Electric Boat Cruise around Port Lincoln Marina
- Feast on the world’s most delectable, Coffin Bay Oysters
- See a majestic Great White Shark in its own environment (OE)
- Dine in premium restaurants tasting world-class local produce and wine
- Swim with playful sea lions and magical bottlenose dolphins (OE)
- Take a unique Stargazing Tour whilst staying at an outback wilderness retreat
- Experience the jaw-dropping scenery of the Great Australian Bight
- Meet the kangaroos of Esperance and Cape Le Grand National Park
- Walk among the ancient forests of Valley of the Giants
- Taste your way around the Margaret River wine and produce region
- Engage with Indigenous Culture at Koomal Dreaming
10 days, 9 nights
- Accommodation – 9 nights
- Flight – Adelaide to Port Lincoln
- All meals
- All activities, national park fees and GST
- Airport transfer in Adelaide
- Transport – executive 4WD
- Local guide and expert knowledge
- Flights are operated by Rex and depart Adeladie approx 8am. We will confirm Adelaide airport shuttle upon reconfirmation
- Rex has a 15kg luggage restriction per person plus one 7kg carry on however, upon presenting a valid itinerary or ticket, passengers with international connections are permitted 20kg. For more details on Rex Baggage Allowance please visit their website.
- It is highly recommended that you pre-book the optional activities at time of booking as they are very popular and can’t be booked on the day. We can reserve your place upon booking and you pay the operator locally.
- Any Optional Extra Experiences are outsourced and therefore the terms and conditions of each operators apply
- Dietary requirements can be catered for but must be advised at time of booking
- Our tours require a minimum of two people to operate and in the unlikely event we only have one person confirmed we have some other options available. Firstly, a Single Supplement fee is offered to run the tour with only one person. Secondly, we reserve the right to cancel the tour and arrange an alternative operator (if possible). If the alternative is not suitable we will refund your tour price in full. Please read our full Booking Terms & Conditions prior to booking your tour
- Sea Lions don’t run from June to August so there is an alternative itinerary for this day during these months
- Day 1 : Adelaide to Port LincolnYou will be transferred from your Adelaide accommodation bright and early to catch your flight to Port Lincoln, arriving 45 minutes later. Your expert guide will greet you and give you an overview of what exciting things are to come on your journey across the South Coast of Australia. After a little exploring around Port Lincoln, you will enjoy a tantalising lunch of local seafood harvest at an award-winning seafood restaurant. Next, board the ‘Tesla’, a unique electric canal cruiser. Enjoy a tranquil cruise around Port Lincoln’s Marina and learn about Australia’s largest commercial fishing fleet. Explore some stunning coastline before visiting Mikkira Station, home of a wild koala population. After a full day of exploring its time to relax and enjoy dinner. Driving distance today is around 150km and you’ll spend the night at the award-winning Port Lincoln Hotel.Meals :Lunch, DinnerDay 2 : Coffin Bay (or Great White Shark Experience)Mosey up the coast to the seaside town of Coffin Bay for the Coffin Bay Oyster Farm Tour, the only one of its kind in Australia. Put on some waders and sit down to feast on the world-renowned Coffin Bay oysters, plucked straight out of the ocean. After lunch, head up the West Coast of the Eyre Peninsula exploring beautiful sights such as Locks Well and Talia Caves. Then its onward to the business base at Coodlie Park Farm Retreat where you’ll join company owners Hassie and Jo for an Aussie campfire feast. After dinner, head out on a Nocturnal Wildlife & Stargazing Tour giving you a chance to see the beautiful southern skies and native wildlife at its most active. Today travel approximately 250km and tonight sleep in a fully self-contained cottage at Coodlie Park. Alternative Day 2 Itinerary - Great White Experiences (Optional Extra) Those who love aquatic wildlife, and/or are seeking an adrenalin rush, can choose the full day optional experience of coming face-to-face with the majestic, Great White Shark. There are two operators offering different types of experiences: From staying dry in a revolutionary glass viewing aqua sub, to the more extreme option of entering the cage. Prices range from $350 to $564 depending on your choice. Please see ‘Optional Extras’ for more information. If you opt for the shark experiences, when the boat returns, we’ll have a quick dinner in Port Lincoln before making the 3-hour drive to Coodlie Park.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 3 : Baird Bay & CedunaIt’s up early today for an inspiring coastal walk around Venus Bay where we often see dolphins surfing in the waves. Next it’s time for a tour highlight, swimming with Australian sea lions and dolphins in sheltered Baird Bay. The puppy dogs of the sea will splash, twist and twirl all around you and the magical dolphins won’t disappoint either. This optional extra is just $180pp and available from September to May. If is not operating or you’d rather stay on dry land, we offer an alternative itinerary. After lunch at Streaky Bay, we spend time at our signature stop, Perlubie Beach. As we take in this pristine landscape, we’ll sample fresh oysters and local wines, before checking into our accommodation in the seaside town of Ceduna. Today we travel 180km and stay in the 5 Star Eco Villa’s at Shelly Beach Caravan Park.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 4 : Head of Bight & The NullarborExperience Indigenous culture at the Ceduna Aboriginal Culture Centre before making our way to the magnificent Head of Bight, Australia’s ultimate coastal lookout. In the months of June to October you’ll be able to see the amazing spectacle of up to 120 Southern Right Whales and their young frolicking in the waters of the Great Australian Bight Marine Park. You have the option to do a scenic flight over the Head of Bight - the longest continuous cliff coastline in the Southern Hemisphere. Next, get ready to be immersed into the real Australian outback as we begin our journey across the 1660km Nullarbor Plain. That might sound like a long way but there are plenty of stops along the way. You’ll even have the opportunity to play golf on the longest golf course in the world, the Nullarbor Links. Today we clock up a few clicks travelling 550km. Tonight stay in an iconic Outback Roadhouse Motel in Boarder Village, just a few kilometres from Western Australia.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 5 : The Nullarbor & EsperanceHit the road early as we continue to make our way across the Nullarbor Plain into Western Australia. Wind your clock back 1.5 hours and be entertained by your guide as you enjoy the changing landscapes. Enjoy a short visit to Eucla Telegraph Station ruins to stretch your legs. Go off-road, four-wheel driving along the Balladonia Track towards Esperance seeing some historical sites along the way. Today we clock up the most kilometres, driving 900km. We’ll arrive in beautiful Esperance in the evening and spend two nights at the Bay of Isles Motel. Enjoy your evening meal at a local restaurant overlooking a turquoise ocean.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 6 : Cape Le Grand National ParkWords cannot describe the absolute beauty you are going to experience today. Located approximately 50km east of Esperance, Cape Le Grand is one of Western Australia’s most spectacular National Parks. It features blindingly white sandy beaches with sand so fine it squeaks between your toes. Wildlife is in abundance including the iconic sunbathing kangaroos at Lucky Bay who are always up for a photo opportunity. Swim, bushwalk and reconnect with nature today. Tonight we’ll stay back in Esperance and enjoy dining at a local restaurant. Just 80km to travel today.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 7 : South West Coast & AlbanyIt’s more breathtaking scenery today as we head from Esperance through the beautiful Stirling Ranges. If you are lucky to be travelling during wildflower season it will look even more picture perfect. Travel into the oldest mountain range in the world – the Porongurups, to take a spectacular walk through forest to Castel Rock for jaw dropping views. As we make our way along some amazing coastline towards Albany, we’ll stop at Torndirrup National Park to be wowed by The Gap and Natural Bridge. Once in Albany we’ll discover the township and its rich culture. Explore Mt. Clarence and the National Anzac Centre before checking into our motel accommodation. Enjoy a great meal at Due South overlooking the sea. Today we travel around 550km.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 8 : Denmark & WalpoleAfter breakfast we’ll set off towards Denmark, a gorgeous town nestled on the banks of the Denmark River. Here we’ll grab a coffee before making our way towards William Bay National Park to see the paradise that is Greens Pool and Elephant Rocks. If the weather is warm it’s the perfect place for a dip. Next we’ll head inland to the old growth forests of the Walpole Wilderness region. At the iconic Valley of the Giants we’ll do the Ancient Empire and Treetop Canopy walks. Arriving into Margaret River in the evening, we’ll settle into our accommodation at the Margaret River Beach Resort and enjoy a delicious meal at The Common Restaurant. Today we travel around 400km.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 9 : Margaret River to PerthAfter breakfast at a favourite local café overlooking the Indian Ocean, we’ll have some time to explore the quaint township of Margaret River and its eclectic craft and produce stores. The rest of the day your taste buds will be in heaven as we taste our way around the region. Visit cellar doors, a chocolate factory, cheese factory and boutique brewery. But the highlight today will be a delectable lunch at the world-renowned Vasse Felix, Margaret River's founding wine estate. Spend the night back in Margaret River feeling satisfied from all the delicious produce and wine! Today we travel within the Margaret River region travelling just 80km.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 10 : Margaret River to PerthIt’s time to say goodbye to Margaret River as you are off to have one of the best Indigenous experiences in Australia at Koomal Dreaming. Journey deep into Ngilgi Cave where you’ll be mesmerised by a live didgeridoo performance, storytelling and traditional fire-making during this fascinating 2.5 hour cultural tour. As your 10 day journey draws to an end we’ll visit one last spectacular white sandy beach in Dunsborough before grabbing a coffee at the popular holiday town of Busselton. Here you will see the longest jetty in the world. We’ll arrive into Perth around dinner time where we will drop you at your pre-booked accommodation. On the last day of your 10 day journey we’ll travel 300km into Perth.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch
Can cater to private tours on request
PIck up by prior arragnement at Adelaide CBD accommodation (must reconfirm 48 hours prior)
While everything on our tours is included in the price, there are three optional extra experiences on this tour that we leave up to you to decide if you would like to do. These are very popular activities, so we highly recommend securing your place at time of booking. You can add these to your cart when booking.
Please keep in mind; These tours are operated by third parties and separate to Xplore Eyre. Therefore, the terms and conditions of each of these companies apply. Weather can play an important part in the operations of these tours and occasionally a tour may be cancelled which is beyond our control. If that is the case, you will be provided a full refund.
Swim with sea lions and dolphins ($180pp)
This is an amazing experience and highlight of the tour. The interaction that you will have with the sea lions and dolphins at the beautiful and sheltered Baird Bay on the Eyre Peninsula will leave you breathless. Board the 14-seater boat for a short ride to our first stop, where you’ll swim with sea lions. This takes place in approximately two metres of water. It is a natural experience and the sea lions come into the sheltered lagoon to interact with us.
After this, head further out into the bay to swim with the majestic bottlenose dolphins. This happens in four metres of water but is still within the sheltered bay. The tour is 3-4 hours and a wetsuit and snorkel equipment are included.
Great White Shark Experiences in Port Lincoln
Adventure Bay Charters - From $389pp - $564pp
This is Australia’s first Advanced Eco-certified White Shark Tour. Sustainable and responsible, Adventure Bay Charters use rock music to attract the sharks, which also makes for a great vibe on the boat for your tour. They also have the only Aqua Sub, dry glass viewing platform with 360-degree views of the Great Whites in their natural habitat. This allows you to come face to face with the sharks and the cage divers whilst staying dry! If you are feeling brave you can upgrade on the day to have the ultimate thrill of plunging into the Southern Ocean with the sharks, from within the safety of the cage.
This full-day tour to the Neptune Islands departs at 6.30am and returns at 6.30pm. It includes all equipment, breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. You also receive a selection of free images which they will email to you within a couple of days.
- Full-Day Tour/Aqua Sub Access - $350pp (at time of booking)
- Cage Dive - $175pp (paid onboard)
- $39 ‘Department of Environment Fee’ is payable on the day regardless of which option you choose (paid at reception)
If you opt to enter the cage but do not see any Great White Sharks you will not pay the $150 Cage Entry fee, just the $350 + $39.
Calypso Star Charters Shark Cage Diving - $532pp
Calypso Star Charters was established in 1990 and have a proud history of providing safe and exciting Advanced Eco Certified Shark Cage Diving. They are the only one-day Shark Cage Diving South Australian tour operator who is permitted to use natural fish burley (chum) to attract the sharks. This sustainable practice provides passengers with the best possible chance of sighting and interaction close to the vessel and cage, which will enhance your incredible experience!
The full day charter boards at 6.30am and it takes about 2.5 hours to get out to the Neptune Islands. No diver experience is required. All food and equipment is supplied and MV Calypso Star 2 is the only Shark Cage Diving vessel fitted with a Gyroscopic Stabiliser, increasing guests’ comfort throughout the day.
Please note the $532 rate is inclusive of a $37 Department of Environment Fee.
On days of nil sightings of White Sharks, all guests will be refunded $100 and provided a $200 voucher off a future tour.
Head of Bight Marine Park Scenic Flight - $275pp
(Available July to September during Whale Watching season)
Get a whole new perspective of this incredible landscape taking a 45-minute scenic flight over the Head of the Great Australian Bight while you spot many Southern Right Whales and their young playing in the waters below.