Amsterdam Red Light Walking Tour in German
Discover Amsterdam's famous red light district on a critical and informative 1.5-hour tour with a German city guide. Learn more about the work of prostitutes, the sex theaters with their quirky shows, as well as the history of the area.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Red Light Tour
- German-speaking city guide
What's excluded :
- Peepshow (2EUR)
- The 1.5-hour tour highlights all the positive as well as negative aspects of the Amsterdam Red Light District. In the heart of the red light district lies the Old Church (Oude Kerk), the oldest church in Amsterdam and probably the only church in the world which is surrounded by prostitution. The special situation of the Old Church helped enforce its great wealth, because sinners of the night felt obliged to wash their contaminated souls clean through a generous donation or "sin tax". Around the square the church is surrounded by a row of windows flooded by red lights revealing attractive, scantily-clad women.
Discover more about the process of negotiations between customers and prostitutes, about their income and expenses, prices, room rental and taxes, but also about the women's security. A small highlight of the tour is the visit of a peepshow from the 70's. The peepshow was once the most popular establishment of the entire district, today it is a nostalgic gem in a street of absurd sex shows.
This tour is informative and very critical and your guide speaks German as a mother tongue.
Departure Point :At the foot of the National Monument on the Dam Square (large white pillar, which is similar to an obelisk). Your tour guide will be wearing a red name tag and/or a blue-grayish umbrella.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please note that in summer it gets dark at around 22:00
- On Fridays and Saturdays a lot of tourists visit the Red Light District. If you would like a quieter tour please take the tour on another day
- The tour will take place in any weather. Don't forget an umbrella for rainy days
- Distance traveled is approximately 1.8 kilometers at a comfortable pace during the city tour
- It is forbidden to take photos of the prostitutes
- Participants of the public tour 16 years old and older must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Participants can go on the public tour unaccompanied from 18 years of age. Participants younger than 16 can only participate in a private tour. The private tour can be adjusted depending on their age
- For a €22 surcharge a historical city tour can be booked
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.