Ancient Hawaiian Canoe Paddle Excursion
Holo i ke kai (Sail the Sea) The Ancient Hawaiian Way!
In approximately 400 A.D., Wa'akaulua (pronounced wah-ah-kow-loo-uh), or double-hulled sailing craft, took Polynesian settlers, their domestic animals and staple plants from the South Pacific to Hawaii. In the centuries that followed , Wa’akaulua and its more numerous relative the Wa’akaukahi (Outrigger Canoe) remained essential for travel, fishing, surfind, diplomacy and war. Today you can experience the traditional sailing methods used centuries ago while enjoying a combination of sailing/paddling, learning about Hawaiian history, culture, geology and traditions of canoe sailing. Guests will enjoy sailing and/or paddling around Hilo Bay taking in breathtaking views of the coast of Hilo Pali Ku (spacious Hilo of the many standing cliffs), Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa Volcanos, Moku Ola (sometimes called Coconut Island), and the beauty of historic Hilo Bay.
per adult from
What's included :
What's excluded :
You will experience Hilo Bay by way of the Ancients Hawaiians. You will sail/paddle around the bay learning about the vast history and culture of the native people, as well as the history of Hilo town.
Departure Point :1241 Bayfront Hwy, Hilo, HI 96720, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.