Ancient Thracian megalithic monuments - Private Day Trip
In the heart of Bulgaria, nestling in the midst of sloping hills and centuries-old forests, in the foot of Sredna Gora, an ancient Thracian culture center and megalithic sanctuaries are awaiting us. They were used by the ancient Thracians to connect with the Cosmos and get in tune with the Universe.
There, the Thracians used to conduct pagan rituals for nature’s revival, the cult towards their God of Son and the Mother Goddess, and also to observe the cosmic events and celebrate the change of Thracian rulers and Tsars.
Peace, quiet, delight, astonishment, legends and magic, greatness, miracles, and secrets - these are places covered with thousands of years of mysteries, stories, and many, many questions!
Come and immerse yourself in the lost kingdom which antiquity left us!
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport in a modern vehicle (car/minibus) with air conditioning
- Visit Thracian tomb Zhaba mogila
- Entrance fee for Zhaba mogila
- Visit Strelcha town and its Historical Museum
- Hiking and exploring the Thracian megalithic complex of Skumsale
- Hiking and exploring the Thracian megalithic complex – Kulata
- English speaking tripvam representative during the whole trip
What's excluded :
- Personal expenditures
- Food and beverages
- Gratuities (optional)
- Insurance (optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Plovdiv Old Town, Plovdiv 4000 Bulgaria
Our tour starts at 09:00 am when our tripvam representative will pick you up from your hotel.
We leave for Strelcha village which is 1 hour drive from Plovdiv.
Our journey begins with a visit to the Zhaba mogila (sanctuary-temple) which is the biggest of all 300 mounds in the town of Strelcha and one of the biggest mounds in Bulgaria. This mound is a unique Thracian cult complex which consists of Temple-mausoleum and a Sanctuary-temple. Zhaba mogila was built and used by the “Besi” Thracian tribe which inhabited these lands between the 5th-4th century BC.
Our next stop is Strelcha town where we’ll visit the Historical Museum. We can also buy some local food and products in order to have a picnic while visiting the Megalithic sanctuaries.
Our adventure continues towards the rock megalithic complex named “The tower”. The main part of this sanctuary is situated on a huge rock. There is formed facility which was used for fortune-telling and worship practices towards the God Dionysus.
Next, we’ll visit one of the biggest megalithic complexes – Skumsale. It’s characterized by many different rock objects which were built for cult purposes in the midst of an oak forest. We’ll hike towards its northern part where on a big lawn surrounded from all sides by high rocks are situated thrones, furrows, and sacrificial altars which the ancient inhabitants of Sredna Gora used for their cult’s purposes.
We leave for Plovdiv with an expected arrival time in the city at around 6:00 pm
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Wherever you are staying at
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.