Bagamoyo Historical Tour - Everyday
Bagamoyo is a magical town fringed with amazing beaches, Mangrove forest, unforgettable historical memories as well as various traditional lifestyle, located just 65kms north of Dar es Salaam on the coast opposite Zanzibar, it was the formal capital of the German East Africa. It derived the name from the word Bwagamoyo means “here I throw down my heart” reflecting the desperation and despair of the “broken heart” captives whose voyage into the unknown world began here. The town was the most important trading center pot of the east central coast of Africa, in the late 19th century its history was influenced by Indian and Arab traders, the German colonial government and by Christian missionaries.
The visit will include; First German East Africa State House in East Africa, Old Fort, Kaole Ruins, Catholic Museum, Crocodile Farm, Old Port in East Africa, the First Cross erected by the Missionary on the coast of East Africa, Dr. Livingstone’s Church, the fish market, etc.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Old Fort
- Entry/Admission - Old Boma
- Entry/Admission - Kaole Ruins
- Entry/Admission - Bagamoyo Museum
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Old Fort, Bagamoyo, Tanzania
A prison where slaves were kept before herded through underground tunnels to waiting dhows at the Harbor, where their journey unknown world began.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Old Boma, Bagamoyo Tanzania
It is one of the many historical building found in Bagamoyo and used to be an old state house that was built by the Germans at the end of the 19th century, with the sole purpose of being a residence for its leaders in the area. It was only used by them for a few years before their capital was moved to then Mzizima or currently known as Dar es Salaam, due to the shallow water depth of the Bagamoyo port.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Kaole Ruins, Bagamoyo Tanzania
The kaole ruin is a site that holds the remains of the first settlement of the Arab foreigners in Bagamoyo as well as an archaeological remains excavation site. Some of the structures at the site include houses, mosques, water wells and graves of the foreigners that died there. Kaole was originally settled in the 8th century as a trading town. It is a small town and archaeological site in Tanzania, located southern eastern of Bagamoyo town on the shores of Indian Ocean. At the area there are old stone ruins dating to a period between the 13th century and the 16th century and consist of two mosques and 30 tombs
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Bagamoyo Museum, Mango Tree Drive, Bagamoyo Tanzania
The original Holy Ghost Church was built in 1872, is reportedly to be the oldest church on the mainland of East Africa as sister's house and part of the Holy Ghost Mission, one of the first Christian missionaries in East Africa. In 1874, David Livingstone was interred for a night at the Holy Ghost Mission. The Livingstone Tower, a part of the original church, is named in his honor.
The Sisters’ House, built in 1876, was converted into the Roman Catholic Mission Museum and has many sentimentally touching exhibits of photographs of slaves tied together with chains to their necks, exhibits of the history of Missionary work and conversion to Christianity, books and booklets on prehistory of Bagamoyo, Indian and Arab door frames, and shackles, chains and whips used during slave trade, and many local wood craft.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up guest from any Hotel in the City Centre, Msasani Peninsula and North Coast without any extra cost.Airports
- Julius Nyerere International Airport, Julius K. Nyerere Rd, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Zanzibar Ferry Port
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.