Beyond the Beach Eco Tour Including Ferry Ride to Island of Vilimalé
Join local conservationists 'Save the Beach' and discover the quieter, eco-friendly side of Maldives life. On this small group tour, travel by ferry to the small island of Vilimalé where you’ll wander the quiet streets, learn the names of local trees, indulge in traditional afternoon tea, and learn more about the conservation work being carried out by this local NGO.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Ferry transportation to and from Mal
- Afternoon refreshments with both water and black tea
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Additional food and drinks
- Optional speed boat transfers
- This eco-friendly Maldives tour will take us away from the city of Malé and into a local community, where we'll meet with a local NGO helping to preserve the country's beaches and reefs.
Once we’ve all gathered at the jetty, we’ll take a short taxi ride to the ferry terminal on the west side of Malé. From there, a 10-minute ferry crossing takes us away from the hubbub of Malé city to the peaceful island of Vilimalé . Formally a prison island, Vilimalé now provides a haven of tranquility for its residents, many of whom commute to the capital daily.
On the other side of our ferry ride, we’ll be met by a member of Save the Beach, a local NGO that started in 2008 as a youth movement in Vilingili (now named Vilimalé ) to conserve the local beaches. The main activities of Save the Beach include regular beach clean-up programs, planting of trees in and around Vilingili, coral reef conservation as well as organising educational and awareness community events. Their activities are not just confined to Vilimalé but also reach out to other local islands throughout the archipelago.
Hassan Ahmed led the initiatives and co-founded the movement, along with the youth of Villingili. Hassan has been a resident of Villingili from the very beginning and has been a conservationist from the time the first harbour was built, when he noticed the reefs were dying. Hassan orchestrated all of the activities of Save the Beach as a movement even before he had registered the organisation. Today, Save the Beach is now registered as a non-profit initiative.
A 90-minute walking tour of the island provides insight into the conservational challenges that face small island states. You’ll see how Vilimalé has transformed from an island with a rich biodiversity on land and in the sea, to one that is struggling to maintain its natural ecosystems. You’ll witness these impacts firsthand alongside local conservationists, who will show you images of Vilimalé past as you observe the present.
You’ll wander the quiet streets, observe locals going about their day, learn the names of local trees, and, if it’s open, visit the tiniest of spice factories. We’ll finish the tour at a local tea shop looking out across the water to Malé, where you can sample a traditional hedika – and afternoon break of sweet and savoury snacks served with black tea. When it is time to leave, your guide will walk with you to the ferry terminal and accompany you back to Malé.
If you are NOT staying in MALE or HULHUMALE, please note that you will need to arrange a return transfer to Male at your own expense; depending on your location, this could be by speedboat, domestic flight or seaplane. For guests staying on private resort islands we'd highly recommend asking the hotel concierge to advise you on the best mode of transport and the costs involved.
Departure Point :Jetty Number 5, Boduthakurufaanu Magu, Malé, Maldives
Departure Time :2:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please wear cool, comfortable clothing for walking, and don’t forget a hat and sunscreen! Note that the Maldives is a Muslim country, therefore please dress modestly. Female guests should have clothing that covers their shoulders.
- Note if you are staying on a resort island, you will be required to arrange your transfer to Malé with the resort transfer service. For guests staying on a resort outside of the Malé Atolls, where transfer is by seaplane or domestic flight, we would advise taking the tour on your arrival/departure day whilst in the capital area. Private tours can be arranged to meet flight time requirements.
- Minimum age is 6 years
- A maximum of 12 people per booking
- This tour can accommodate Halal diets. Please notify us when you make your booking if you have any other dietary restrictions.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.