Bo-Kaap: Beauty and the Beat
You will obtain a perspective from a resident of the area. It infuses History, Culture, Heritage and Traditional Music. No other tour offers this.
per adult from
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea - Rooibos Tea and a traditional snack is offered
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Bo-Kaap, Bo-Kaap, Western Cape
We start the tour at 71 Wale Street where we discuss the origins of the oldest suburb in South Africa. Our walk then takes us past the Auwal Mosque, which is the oldest mosque in South Africa, dating back to 1794, when it was started by slaves in defiance of Dutch law.
From here, we walk down the street with all the colourful houses. This is the most-photographed street in South Africa. We then work our way towards Cape Town’s famed spice shop, Atlas, where you will smell the heady aromas of spices used in everyday Cape Malay cooking. These are the same spices used by slaves as an expression of freedom in their masters’ kitchens.
The tour then ends with a 30 minute traditional Ghoema music session, which is unique to this culture. The music is rooted in slavery. Slaves were not allowed to speak up against the authorities, but expressed it in the form of singing. We will savour a local snack and cup of tea at a host’s home as well.
Four types of songs are sung. The session is quite interactive as a brief explanation of each song is provided to the guests and who knows, you may be able to sing along as well :-).
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :IZIKO BO-KAAP MUSEUM, 71 Wale St, Schotsche Kloof, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
Departure Time :4:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- We will have a traditional music session in a hosts home. The equipment and house will be completely sanitized before arrival at the house.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.