Cavern Tour with Make a Blue John Stone Christmas Decoration
This is a Self guided audio tour of Treak Cliff Cavern using your own Smartphone, with a Christmas seasonal twist combined with workshop time with our Craftsmen to make a Blue John Christmas decoration. The cavern is decorated with fairy lights, Christmas trees, and candles. Rocks and minerals from around the world are incorporated into the decorations to create even more Festive Feel. The Christmas Rocks Trail focuses on the decorations and the minerals as you take your journey through the Cavern. Underground you see the unique mineral Blue John Stone, found only here in Treak Cliff Hill. On your 50 minute audio tour see ancient fossils, rare minerals and the finest stalactites and stalagmites in the Peak District.
In the workshop the crafts people help you select a slice of Blue John Stone from a variety of natural shapes and colours to create your Christmas decoration. Discover even more history of Blue John Stone and artefacts and the family who care for the Cavern in our museum,
per adult from
What's included :
- Workshop equipment: wet & dry paper, buffing wheels, glue, Blue John Stone, findings etc
- Self guided audio tour using your own smartphone
- Access to superfast broadband to download the App for the Audio tour
What's excluded :
The self-guided Audio on your own smartphone takes you on the Tour of the Cavern, and you can stop and start as you go along to answer the Christmas Rocks Trail quiz. You will see the Underground Wonderland of stalactites and stalagmites, rocks, minerals and fossils, and our beautiful unique Blue John Stone! With an App previously downloaded onto your Smart phone, you follow a marked route through the cavern, with the information delivered to your phone via Blue tooth beacons as you move along. Entry times and online booking limit slots to your group only (not counting those who are exempt or in your Support bubble), so you effectively have a socially distanced private tour. enabling you to focus on the stunning cave and the audio tour, and the Christmas lights and themes. Before or after your Cavern tour you have time in the work shop where the crafts people will help you select a semi prepared piece of Blue John Stone and help you finish it into a hanging Christmas decoration.
• Treak Cliff Cavern, Buxton Road, Castleton, Peak District National Park S33 8WP England
Departure Point :Treak Cliff Cavern, Castleton, Hope Valley S33 8WP, UK
Departure Time :12:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please see the Access page on our website for a full description of our natural site limitations
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our audio tour meets the Good To Go standard introduced by Visit Britain after the Corona-virus lock-downs. Entry times and online booking limit slots to your group only (not counting those who are exempt or in your Support bubble), so you effectively have a socially distanced private tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Treak Cliff Cavern