Climb Mount Kilimanjaro: 6 Days Marangu Route
MARANGU ROUTE this is the most popular route known as the ‘coca-cola route’, Due to their uniqueness is the oldest and one of the most preferable routes. Many agree that, this is the easiest and shortest route to Kilimanjaro summit point, given its gradual slope.
Although is the easiest route because no technical skills are required for this five-day trek. It is not as scenic as other routes. However, some prefer this route because it is the only route on the mountain that has huts provided for hikers.
There are 60 bunk beds each at Mandara and Kibo Huts, and 120 bunk beds at Horombo Hut. During peak season these huts can be very overloaded so as advance booking of hut accommodation is required to avoid any inconveniences
The Marangu route is usually done in 5 days; we would highly recommend all to add an additional day for better acclimatization.
per adult from
What's included :
- Accommodation prior to climb(Including breakfast sharing twin room)
- Accommodation after the climb(Including breakfast sharing twin room)
- During the climb you will share tent with 1-2 other climber
- Warm and comfortable sleeping pads(2 inches thick)
- Kilimanjaro National Park permits.
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
- Camping/hut fees
- Professional mountain crew (with over 6 years of experience in climbing)
- Each climber will be provided porters(carry 15 kg)
- Pick up at International Airport
- Transfer to the hotel As per arranged
- Return to Kilimanjaro airport.
- Transfer to the trail head
- Modern tents
- First aid kit
- Portable flush toilets can be provided for free upon clients request
- Group equipment (dining tent, table, chairs, crockery)
- International certificates for a successful ascent
- Oxygen systems and pulse oximeters
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Personal gear rental
- Guide $15 – $20 per day
- Cook $10 – $15 per day
- Porter $8 – $10 per day
- International Flights and Insurance
- 100 per person for US Nationals and $50 per person for other Country Nationals
- Lunches, dinners and drinks at your hotel in Moshi before and after climbing
- DAY 1: MARANGU GATE (1,870 METERS) TO MANDARA HUT (2,700 METERS)
After breakfast and briefing from your guide you will be collected from your hotel in Moshi and you will be driven to the gate from Moshi, which takes approximately an hour and passes through the village of Marangu gate. Once the necessary paper work and registration with the Kilimanjaro National Park authorities has been completed your trek can begin. Day one is a gradual trek through the Kilimanjaro rainforest. Within the rainforest, look for towering Eucalyptus trees, bird life, and monkeys.
DAY 2: MANDARA HUT (2,700 METERS) TO HOROMBO HUT (3,720 METERS)
Day two on the Marangu Route begins with an early start.The trek continues through the rainforest, around the base of the Maundi Crater and then transitions rather rapidly into the low alpine moorland zone. At Horombo Hut (3,720 meters) you will be served dinner and shown to your sleeping quarters for the night
DAY 3: ACCLIMATIZATION TREK TO ZEBRA ROCKS(4020 METERS) THEN BACK TO HOROMBO HUT(3700 METERS)
Today serves as an acclimatization day. This should not be underestimated and greatly improves your chance of success in reaching the summit. After a relaxing breakfast, a 4 hour trek follows to the Zebra Rocks (4020m).Then you can relax in the afternoon and regain your strength for the hike the following day.
DAY 4: HOROMBO HUT (3,720 METERS) TO KIBO HUT (4,700 METERS)
Today in Marangu Route is long and tough. There are two routes to Kibo. Today’s destination is the Kibo Hut that is usually reached in about 5-6 hours. Here, you will enjoy an early evening meal followed by an early night.
DAY 5: KIBO HUT (4,700 METERS) TO UHURU PEAK (5,895 METERS) AND THEN HOROMBO HUT (3,720 METERS)
Day five begins with summit night. You will begin your final ascent around midnight which will be long and strenuous. Passing the Hans Meyer Cave at 5220m, the climb slowly but surely goes upwards. On your return to Kibo Hut, a warm meal awaits you followed by a 1-2 hour break before proceeding back down to Horombo Hut.
DAY 6: HOROMBO HUT (3,720 METERS) TO MARANGU GATE (1,870 METERS)
Day six from Horombo Hut to Marangu Gate is nearly 20km but usually only takes 7 hours to complete. You will be exhausted at this stage and spend most of the hike imagining the hot shower you will be having that evening. you will be back at the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate (1860m). After saying goodbye to your mountain guides, a short transfer follows to take you back to your hotel in Moshi.
If you have safari or fly to beaches in Zanzibar so as we can arrange many reasonably priced trips and safaris around Moshi and the Kilimanjaro region. If you fly back home our vehicle will be ready to take you to the airport at your time.
Departure Point :In your Hotel at Moshi
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.