Discover the magic of the Andes, Huayhuash Classic Hike (10 Days)
Trekking in the Cordillera Huayhuash is considered one of the most beautiful treks in the world, this circuit around a spectacular mountain range will charm us by the diversity and beauty of the landscapes encountered. The Huayhuash massive is located south of the Cordillera Blanca, about 4 hours from Huaraz by bus. It offers a set of high passes (9 are above 4500 meters), vertiginous peaks, colorful glacier lakes and cultivated valleys dotted with isolated hamlets. There we will observe the second summit of Peru, the Yerupajá (6634 m).
I invite you to join me on one of the most beautiful trek circuits in the world: the classic Huayhuash trek. This 10-day high altitude tour takes us through the entire Cordillera Huayhuash range in the Peruvian Andes, with spectacular views of impressive mountains
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport Huaraz to Matacancha, and return from Pocpa in a private vehicle
- Professional certified guide - AGPM - IFMGA
- Professional outdoor cook
- Donkeys or llamas and porters where applicable
- Full camping and kitchen equipment. Complete food
- kitchen tent, mess tent, two-people tents, tables, chairs, and bathroom tent
- First aid kit stocked for wilderness expedition
- Rights of path in different communities
- Information and specific recommendations before the trekking
- Permanent assistance of the agency throughout the duration of your stay
What's excluded :
- International flights and applicable airport taxes
- Personal clothing and equipment (such good shoes, a small back pack, clothes, sleeping bag and pad, etc.
- Incidental personal expenditures, including emergency evacuations and medical expenditures
- Insurance: personal travel, high mountain and/or medical insurance
- Meals and drinks in the city
DAY 1 – Huaraz – Chiquián – Matacancha.- In the early morning, departure to the town of Chiquián by private vehicle. After a lunch break, we continue our road to the Matacancha camp. We arrive in the late afternoon. Meeting with our muleteer and installation of the camp.
DAY 2 – Matacancha – Mitucocha.- Sustained climb on a not well marked trail to reach the wild pass of Gasha Punta. In the descent, we pass the limestone massif of Paria. Arrival at Mitucocha Lake in the mid-afternoon. Camp in a wide valley trough-shaped near the lake. A day that offers, thanks to its hanging glaciers and multicolored lakes, a scenery to take your breath away!
DAY 3 – Mitucocha – Carhuacocha.- On a little marked path, we reach the pass of Alcay: this journey is dotted with limestone rocks, which natural erosion is remarkable. Once at the pass, the panorama changes suddenly becoming completely mineral. then down towards the turquoise Carhuacocha Lake, with stunning views on the Siulá, the Yerupajá, the Rondoy and the Jirishanca. Setup of the camp near the lake.
DAY 4 – Carhuacocha – Huayhuash.- we climb a steep valley, where frequently echoes the roar of distant serac falls. A steep path in the air allows us to quickly gain altitude. The landscape, compound among other things of three lakes of different colors, is absolutely magnificent. Once the Siulá pass is reached, we switch toward a broad green valley to arrive in the late afternoon at the camp.
DAY 5 – Huayhuash - Trekking to the village of Portachuelo de Huayhuash - Laguna Viconga / Hot Springs (4400 m).- A wide commercial route extends to the south to the small village Portachuelo de Huayhuash, then to the headwaters of the Huayhuash River – the very green Suirococha Lakes (,500 m.) The climb to the south extends past Portachuelo de Huayhuash (4795 m) again dominated by impressive mountain panoramas, this time the ice covered peaks of the southern Huayhuash Range. Viconga Hot Springs Camp (4400 m). Overnight Camp
DAY 6 – Laguna Viconga - Trekking Punta Cuyoc Pass (5020 m) - Huanacpatay (4350 m).-
DAY 7 – Huanacpatay - Trekking Village of Huayllapa (3600 m) - Huatiac (4290 m).-
DAY 8 – Huatiac - Trekking Punta Tapush (4800 m) - Cashpapampa (4500 m).-
DAY 9 – Cashgapampa - Trekking Llaucha Pass (4750 m) - Laguna Jahuacocha (4066 m), Optional: Climb Diablo Mudo (5350 m).-
DAY 10 – Jahuacocha - Trekking Jahuapunta Pass (4650 m) - Village of Pocpa (3600 m); Transfer to Huaraz.-
Departure Point :With our private vehicle we will pick you up at your hotel.
Departure Time :
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A minimum of 8 people per booking is required
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.