Evora Cartuxa: The Most Exclusive Tour for Wine Lovers
One of the most exclusive tours in Évora! While for others it takes weeks to have a guided visit to the Cartuxa winery, this private and exclusive tour will take you there just some hours after your reservation, combining the charm of the capital of Alentejo, Évora, with its famous delicacies: wine and olive oil.
You can also visit the rich estate of Eugénio de Almeida Foundation and see the grapes that make some of the best wines in the world in this 6-hour self-driving experience on board of a 100% electric vehicle: the Renault Twizy!
Adventure yourself on a 6-hour tour to Cartuxa Winery, have lunch at Enoteca and visit Monte dos Pinheiros where the grapes of Pera Manca are grown!
Stay connected with our free wi-fi, create your unique wine tour and share your experience in real time with your friends and family, courtesy of our live camera technology.
If you consider yourself a wine lover this is the experience you must have!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Rental of Renault Twizy (capacity: 2 people per car)
- GPS Tour Guide with all points of interest
- Free Wi-Fi
- Camera to Record and/or Stream Live the Whole Experience
- Free pickup and drop-off at partner hotels
- Civil Liability, Personal and Car Insurance
- Guided tour of 1h30 to the Wine Cellar w/ 5 Premium wines+Olive oils and Hams (10.30 or 11.30 only)
- Non-guided visit to the Eugénio de Almeida Foundation - Páteo São Miguel
- Non-guided visit to the exclusive collection of antique carriages.
- Non-guided visit to the Casas Pintadas. (Closed on Monday)
- Exclusive entry in Monte dos Pinheiros, vineyard of the Grape of the Pera Manca (close: SAT and SUN)
- Reservation for lunch or dinner at Enoteca Cartuxa
- Bottle of Cartuxa Reserve Red (one per car)
- Entry/Admission - Enoturismo Cartuxa
- Entry/Admission - Eugénio de Almeida Foundation
- Entry/Admission - Pateo de Sao Miguel
- Entry/Admission - Jardim das Casas Pintadas
What's excluded :
- Pickup and Drop-off at non-partner hotels/apartments, unless surcharge of 10€
- Lunch or Dinner at Enoteca Cartuxa (reservation only)
- Entry/Admission - Enoteca Cartuxa
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Enoturismo Cartuxa, Quinta de Valbom, Evora Portugal
The Cartuxa Winery, located in the Quinta do Valbom. Founded by Ignacius of Loyola – later Saint Ignacius – in 1540, the Order of Jesuits was devoted to missionary and educational work. It was to those ends that Jesuits came to Évora, firstly to set up the College of the Holy spirit (Colégio Espirito Santo) around 1551, and later, in 1559, to create the University of Évora. A Jesuit rector of the University, Father Pedro Silva, acquired Quinta de Valbom in 1580 to house the university’s teaching body. The building of what came to be called the Jesuit Retreat (Casa de Repouso dos Jesuitas) took 10 years to complete, and resulted in a large, many-roomed building, complete with refectory and chapel.
In 1759, the Jesuits were expelled from Portugal by Prime Minister Pombal, and the Valbom Estate was taken over by the State. In 1776 it was equipped with a wine press which quickly gained importance in the region.
Situated on the Herdade de Pinheiros estate, can take all the grapes grown in Foundation vineyards and is fitted with three technological innovations that set it apart from the rest. These are: efficient refrigeration capacity; facility to sort the grapes on arrival at the winery and the ability to move musts and wine around by force of gravity.
The bottling line is fully automated and has an output of some four million bottles per year. These are red, rose and white wines of brands, Vinea, EA, Foral de Évora, Cartuxa, Scala Coeli and the legendary Pêra-Manca.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Eugénio de Almeida Foundation, Páteo de São Miguel, 7001-901 Évora, Portugal
The Eugénio de Almeida Foundation is a privately-owned charity, based in the city of Évora. Its statutary aims are cultural, educational, social and spiritual, focussed on enhancing human achievement and overall development of the region of Évora. Bequeathed by Vasco Maria Eugénio de Almeida, its statutes date 12 August, 1963, and were published on 10 October of the same year.
Continuing the region’s age-old connection with wine, the Foundation has a longstanding history of winegrowing. Vines have been grown at the Casa Agricola Eugenio de Almeida since the end of the 19th century.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Pateo de Sao Miguel, Mario Chico broad, Evora 7000-802 Portugal
Located in central Evora, Pateo de São Miguel has a big symbolic status. Along the centuries, this place was shaped by consecutive military invasions and was the scenario of remarkable events in the country’s and city’s history. In the middle ages it was a fulcral defensive point in the city. After the city was con-quered to the Muslims, in 1165, the fortification was delivered by the King D. Afonso Henriques to the Military Order of São Bento de Calatrava.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Jardim das Casas Pintadas, Rua de Vasco da Gama, Evora 7000-941 Portugal
Painted Houses owes its name to the singular set of 16th century frescoes that decorate the gallery and the oratory annex integrated into the garden.
At the time of the execution of the frescoes, Painted Houses belonged to D. Francisco da Silveira, 3rd Coudel-mor of D. Manuel I and D. João III and a refe-rence poet in the General Songbook.
At the end of the 16th century, the Painted Houses were annexed to the Palace of the Inquisition to house the judges of the Holy Office.
The garden gallery decorations are one of the most interesting artistic manifestations of the genre existing in Portugal and a unique example of palatial mural painting from the first half of the 16th century.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Enoteca Cartuxa, R. de Vasco da Gama nº15, 7001-901 Évora, Portugal
Located in the heart of the historic centre of Évora, Enoteca Cartuxa is the la-test addition to the Eugénio de Almeida Foundation legacy. Its white-washed walls with red-painted wood furniture is a traditional Alentejo tavern design with a contemporary twist.
Revel in the delights of Cartuxa wines, also available by the glass, and the rich, local cuisine.
Our olive oil range, EA, Álamos and Cartuxa, is also available at the store.
Cartuxa Enoteca attracts both local visitors, as well as those coming from afar to enjoy this world-heritage city.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Evora, Portugal
Traveler pickup is offered
We offer free pickup and drop-off at our 4 partner hotels:1. Convento do Espinheiro Hotel2. Évora Hotel3. M'ar de Ar Aqueduto Hotel4. M'Ar de Ar Muralhas HotelIf you're not staying or can't go near one of these 4 partner hotels, we provide pickup and drop-off to your apartment/hotel for an extra 10euros. Just give us your adress and our team will be there.Our time will be at the meeting point you defined with yellow shirts dressed and the vehicle (Renault Twizy with capacity for 2 people) for your tour. Be at the meeting point 15 minutes before your tour begins so our team can explain you all that you need to know before start your urban roadtrip.Don't forget that the driver must be +18, bring his ID/passport and Driver's Licence. Also, don't forget to bring a bottle of water
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- Maximum of 2 persons (including the driver) per car. The Renault Twizy is a two-seater car.
- At the beginning of the tour is required a guarantee deposit of 100€ (to be refunded at the end of the tour)
- ID/Passport and Valid driving license required for the driver
- Children under 4 years old are not allowed for safety reasons
- Youth (between 4 and 17) must be accompanied by an adult
- Final Price is per car
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- For your safety, and in accordance with Portuguese Gov and WHO standards, we have implemented extraordinary measures to protect you from the Covid-19 pandemic. We have adopted all published and approved standards so that you can enjoy your tour in a completely protected way.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.