Excursion to León Viejo Ruins from León City
Delight with a visit to Leon Viejo, an UNESCO World Heritage site, accompanied by a professional guide that will explain you the history of the area and the ruins. An excursion full of history but also in a marvelous setting that looks over Momotombo volcano and Lake Xolotlan.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick-up and drop-off
- Professional guide
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Ruins of Leon Viejo
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Personal Expenses
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Ruins of Leon Viejo, Puerto Momotombo, Leon Nicaragua
The first capital of Nicaragua, León Viejo (Old León), was founded in 1524 by the Spanish conquistadores, south of the Momotombo volcano. The area suffered under frequent volcanic activity and the earthquakes of 1594 and 1610. Due to the damage caused to the infrastructure and the seismic activity, the city was relocated to its present location, about 20 miles to the west. The old city was gradually buried by the continuous expulsions of ash and volcanic stone coming from Momotombo and by lake sediments.
The ruins of León Viejo were discovered in 1967 and it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2000. During the tour the foundations of some of the houses and partially restored buildings, such as the original church, can be seen. We take you up a hill inside León Viejo from where you have great views over Lake Managua and the impressive Momotombo volcano and its little brother, Momotombito.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Leon, Leon, Leon Department
Traveler pickup is offered
Our representative will meet you at the hotel's lobby or entrance of previous designated pick-up point.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.