Experience Essaouira: Food and Art Walking Tour of the Medina and Ramparts
Venture off the beaten path to get a taste of local life in Essaouira on this 3-hour walking tour. Following a local guide, walk along the historical city ramparts to a panoramic lookout point, and check out local art at a colorful souk in the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Medina of Essaouira. Sample traditional Moroccan treats at local pastry shops, eat fresh seafood side-by-side with locals at the lively fish market, and sip specialty Moroccan tea at a traditional herbalist shop. This tour incorporates all your senses to give you a great overview of Essaouira.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Food and drink tastings
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Meet your guide at Bab Sba in the late morning to begin your 3-hour food and art tour of Essaouira. This fascinating city often flies under the radar of visitors, and so the streets are filled with authentic cultural delights just waiting to be discovered.
Start with a visit to the oldest pastry shop in the city, and sample traditional Moroccan pastries made with time-honored family recipes. Continue walking onto the city ramparts. These fortifications offer a glimpse into how the old seaport village was once protected against invasion. Stop at an old watchtower, and enjoy panoramic views from a little-known lookout point away from the tourist crowds. Gaze out at the city as your guide points out all the must-see landmarks.
Next, make your way into the center of all the action: the Medina of Essaouira. This UNESCO World Heritage-listed area is an outstanding example of late-18th-century fortifications in Morocco. Wander around the colorful souks and meet local artists to check out their art.
After getting your art fix, head to the bustling seaside fish market, where fishermen haul in their daily catch. Sit side-by-side with locals at a wooden table for a savory lunch of grilled fish (usually sardines, a local favorite). For dessert, head to a shop just outside the medina to try a typical Moroccan treat. Then, wash it down with a cup of aromatic tea at a traditional herbalist's shop.
Your tour ends near Bab Doukkala. Your guide will be happy to give you recommendations on other things to do and see in Essaouira, or offer directions back to your hotel.
Departure Point :Avenue du Caire, Essaouira, Morocco
Departure Time :11:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This is a child-friendly tour, but is not stroller-friendly. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page. Please note this tour includes possible small spaces and is therefore not suitable for strollers.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; please wear suitable footwear
- A conservative dress code is recommended in Morocco. Men and women should keep their upper body (especially shoulders, chest and midriff) and knees covered at all times as a sign of respect to the local culture. Wearing shorts is not recommended. Mornings can be cool and winter months can be wet and windy so please dress appropriately
- We believe in Responsible Travel. Please bring a refillable bottle for water and remember to keep hydrated, especially during hot days. A reusable bag is also recommended to carry any purchases to reduce plastic bag waste.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.