Galle Fort and City Cycling Tour
Explore the impact made by the Dutch colonial architecture to the Sri Lankan heritage is vigorous during the era of their governance in specific parts of the island. Dutch era in Sri Lankan history lasted for 150 years, where the architectural erections of fortresses, hospitals, churches, residencies are constructed. Fortunately, some of them still remain as ruins and evidencing to the Dutch era on the island. This two hours and 10 Km cycling tour, you will be able to cycle through the Galle Dutch Fort and surrounding area which one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Sri Lanka.
per adult from
What's included :
- Pick up and drop off will be provided from most closely located hotels in Galle.
- Hotel pick up and drop off will be provided from a TUK TUK or a car.
- Mountain bikes and helmets.
- Well experienced cycling guide.
- Local Traditional snacks and Refreshments.
- First Aids & Back up vehicle.
- All entrance fees to the sites.
- All government taxes.
What's excluded :
- Anything that not mentioned in inclusions.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Old Town of Galle and its Fortifications, Galle 80000 Sri Lanka
08.30 AM - You will be greeted and picked up by our driver and driven to the starting point of the cycling tour.
09.00 AM - On arrival to the starting point, your cycling tour guide will give you a brief introduction to the tour and safety requirements. Thereafter, you can collect your cycles and helmets to start the tour.
09.15 AM - You will reach Galle Dutch Fort and starting to cycling inside the fort from old entrance to new entrance. The Galle Dutch Fort is a seventeenth-century colonial fort in Sri Lanka. It stands on a rocky promontory facing the Indian Ocean. Rocky shores and an imposing land side rampart defend it on all four directions. It was the Portuguese who chose Galle as a permanent trading post in 1588. Following the siege of Galle (1640), the Dutch ousted them from Southern Sri Lanka. Then the Dutch extensively fortified the fort until 1729. Its present form was mainly conceived under Dutch company rule and hence the name Galle Dutch fort. In its heyday, the fortification also served as the island’s southern commandment of the Dutch East India trading company (VOC). Its sister cities were Colombo, Trincomalee, and Jaffna. The fort defended the main VOC trading port in Sri Lanka. In 1796, it was peacefully handed over to the British who maintained a military presence until 1948.
10.30 AM - After the Dutch Fort visit, you will cycle through fruits and vegetable market. Along the route, you can see the day to day activities of the local people and fishermen.
11.30 AM - After a thrilling cycling tour, you will be dropped off to your hotel.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Galle, Sri Lanka
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up and drop off will be provided form most closely located hotels in Galle.
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please be ready at the hotel lobby 15 minutes before the pick up time.
- Please wear comfortable clothing for the cycling.
- You should be able to ride a bicycle on your own.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.