Glacier Trek & Iceberg Raft/Kayak
Paddle up to Spencer Glacier via raft/kayak and venture out onto the ice for a Glacier Trek exploring moulins, blue pools, crevasses and more. Access onto Spencer Glacier is always changing. We will explore as much of the glacier as possible and take you onto the ice as access allows. For 2019, we utilized rafts to get onto Spencer Glacier. For 2020, we won’t know our access point until the season starts in May 2020. This is an awesome full day adventure tour that will incorporate exploration around Spencer Glacier Lake with an amazing trek on Spencer Glacier using ice crampons.
Access in 2019 was by raft & so we utilized both kayaks & rafts for each group with 2 guides per group. This trip is suitable for all ages, as guests not comfortable paddling kayaks can go in a raft. Rafts are powered by a guide rowing, but kayaks are paddled by guests.
Round trip AK Railroad train tickets on the Alaska Railroad's Coastal Classic train included in the cost of this trip.
per adult from
What's included :
- Lunch - Sack lunch included. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions or requests ahead of time.
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Spencer Glacier
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Spencer Glacier, Alaska
*You can begin this trip from either Anchorage or Girdwood. Please make sure to select the correct option for where you are staying so that we can book your train tickets accordingly.
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood
9 AM – Arrive at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 10:30 AM – KAYAK or RAFT Tour on Spencer Lake to the Glacier.
10:30 – 1 PM+ – Glacier Trek onto ice at Spencer Glacier, Look for Blue Ice Caves & Explore.
1-4:30 PM – CUSTOM OPTIONS Depending on your group’s desires. Your guide’s discretion & advice, as well as the weather of the day will determine your options below.
#1 – Continue Exploring the Glacier and get more time Exploring on the ice.
#2 – With inclement weather, jump aboard the AK Railroad’s Glacier Discovery Train and go to Grandview–the most scenic section of the AK Railroad.
#3 – Do a 7 Mile Scenic River RAFTING Float down the Placer River.
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motor coach back to Anchorage or Chugach Adventures’ Shuttle back to Girdwood
5:45 PM – Arrival to Girdwood
6:45 PM – Arrival to Anchorage
Duration: 8 hours
Departure Point :1: Anchorage Depot, 411 W 1st Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
2: Chugach Adventures, 1553 Alyeska Hwy, Girdwood, AK 99587, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Chugach Adventures' was one of the few adventure tour companies that fully and safely operated in 2020. We created an extensive COVID-19 mitigation plan to successfully operate in 2020 for both our travelers and our employees; and are committed to continuing with our plan in 2021.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.