Grand Wachau Cruise Melk - Krems - Melk
Take the ships of the DDSG Blue Danube through the beautiful Wachau. The ship leaves in Melk in a round trip and arrives about 5 hours later at the starting point. On board you can enjoy regional dishes in the restaurant.
The 36 km long river valley has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its uniqueness. The highlights of the sights along the river valley include Melk Abbey, Schönbühel Castle and the town of Dürnstein with the blue church tower.
In the on-board restaurants you will be pampered with culinary delights made from regional products. It is best to enjoy the uninterrupted view of the landscape on the spacious open deck.
per adult from
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Restroom on board
- WiFi on board
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Wachau Valley, Joching Austria
Following the motto ‘Moments of Happiness’, DDSG’s red-white fleet depart for numerous journeys during the day and at night. The fleet is all about relaxation, recreation and experiences. The friendly crew is dedicated to making your stay on board unforgettable. Between late March and early November, the proud red and white DDSG fleet departs for relaxed cruises through the Wachau region, a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage, up to 3 times per day in each direction. A cruise in the Wachau region is always a special experience – no matter if in spring when the apricot and other trees are in full bloom, in summer when you can enjoy bright blue skies, or in autumn when you can watch the afternoon sun bathing the vineyards in red and gold. The dense timetable gives you many options of experiencing the region from the water between Krems, Dürnstein, Spitz, Emmersdorf and Melk.
You can see the castle and monastery Schönbühel beautifully placed on a rock. Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria, later Empress Sisi, visited the monastery in 1844. In the first part of the Sissi films this scene is also re-enacted. You pass the ruins Hinterhaus in Spitz and the fortified church of St. Michael.
During the cruise you will see imposing buildings such as the Dürnstein Abbey or the Benedictine Abbey Göttweig. The ruins of Dürnstein Castle, which is known from the legend of Richard the Lionheart, sits enthroned on the mountain.
The English King Richard the Lionheart tore the Austrian flag on the return journey of his crusade and refused to share the war booty with Leopold V. Then Leopold V captured the English king in the built castle 1192-1193.
The royal prisoner was allowed to receive moving singers for his conversation, which later became the legend of singer Blondel. His faithful minnesinger moved from castle to castle until he discovered his king in Dürnstein by singing a song stanza, which the prisoner supplemented. Richard the Lionheart was set free again after paying a ransom of 150,000 marks of silver.
Arrived in Krems it goes back after a short stay through the Wachau to Melk.
Let yourself be pampered in the on-board restaurants. The gastronomy offers a varied food and beverage offer at moderate prices. The menu focuses on regional products and modern interpreted classics from the Wachau. How about a summer salad with apricot pieces, a Wachauer Brettljause or a captain's burger accompanied by a matching Wachauer wine?
Departure Point :DDSG Blue Danube Schiffahrt GmbH, Pionierstraße, Räcking 1, 3390 Melk, Austria
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Refunds will not be issued if tour/activity is missed due to late or non-arrival of cruise ship.
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.