Great Southern Getaway Cycle Tour
Cycle beautiful Gippsland. 2N 2D self-guided, fully supported cycle along the iconic Great Southern Rail Trail. Love the quirky towns. Fresh food, amazing wines, art galleries and panoramic views.
Choose your Getaway: Relax or Challenge
Unwind: 34k Leongatha to Fish Creek. Cycle the emerald Gippsland countryside. Love the forests, art galleries, cafes & native animals.
Entire: 72k Leongatha to Port Welshpool. Cycle the whole Great Southern Rail Trail. Enjoy sweeping vistas of Wilsons Prom with plenty of time to love the food, wines and friendly locals.
Grand: 160k Leongatha to Foster via the Grand Ridge. Step off the Rail Trail and up the hills to the temperate rainforests of the Grand Ridge Road. Cruise downhill with huge views. Coast home along the flat country.
Board your booked Vline coach at Melbourne Southern Cross Station. Arrive Leongatha. We will welcome you.
per adult from
2 days 12 hours
What's included :
- 2 nights accommodation
- Bottled water
- Use of bicycle
- Use of helmet
- Transfers as specified
- Luggage Transfers
- Roadside assist
- Transport by VLine air-conditioned coach from and return to Melbourne Southern Cross Station
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
What's excluded :
- Hotel drop-off
- Hotel pickup
- The Great Southern Getaway Cycle Tour, fully supported, self-guided, starts every day! Board your VLine coach at Southern Cross Station Melbourne for a direct trip to Leongatha. Enjoy the tour via dairy farms and small towns. We meet your coach and transfer you to your BnB. There we fit your bikes, supply equipment and answer all your questions.
Walk into historic Leongatha for a tasty dinner. Next day begin your cycle whenever suits you! We are always just a phone call away.
• all transfers return from Melbourne
• luggage transfers
• cycling equipment
• roadside assist
Great Southern Getaway Unwind: Leongatha to Fish Creek 34k. Day 1 16k Descend gently to Koonwarra through wide-open dairy farming country. Give way to free range chooks crossing the trail! Koonwarra is home to the slow food movement with great food and wines. After lunch enjoy the scenic Black Spur with its historic trestle bridges. Stop in Meeniyan, a picturesque country town with classy restaurants, art galleries, wine bar and crafts. Day 2 18k cycle lowland forests where grey kangaroos, wallabies and native birds abound. Take a snack with you and finish for lunch at the unusually arty Fish Creek with its Art Deco Pub, galleries and cafes.
Great Southern Getaway Entire: Leongatha to Port Welshpool 72k. Day 1 34k Enjoy the itinerary for the Unwind option and stay in the quirky Fish Creek. Day 2 38k the Rail Trail climbs the Hoddle Range. Descend the hills with spectacular views of Corner Inlet, Strzelecki Range and Wilsons Promontory. Foster & Toora are both historic towns with a great range of cafes and historic buildings to explore. Then it's the flat country with windmills looming overhead. Finish in Port Welshpool and views of Snake Island.
Great Southern Getaway Grand Leongatha to Foster via the Grand Ridge Road. 160k. This is a remote, hilly ride on sealed and unsealed surfaces. For experienced cyclists only. Day 1 62k Cycle the Rail Trail to Fish Creek then head up the valleys to the amazing views of Ameys track. Enjoy the downhill to Foster at days end. Day 2 97k Start the day with a heart pumping climb to the amazing Grand Ridge Road. Ride through the temperate rain forests with views to the coast, valleys and the Great Divide. Take food and water. The terrain can be rough. Drop into Agnes Falls. Then cruise downhill with great views to Welshpool where you will find a well deserved lunch! Love the flat country as you cycle along the rail trail to Foster.
Your return trip t Melbourne is booked and we will collect you and your bikes in time for your return journey.
Departure Point :Southern Cross Station, Spencer St, Docklands VIC 3008, Australia
Departure Time :VLine Southern Cross to Leongatha Coach Timetable. Your choice of coach time. Just let us know. You need to arrive the day of your tour. Cycling starts the following day at your preferred time as it is self guided, fully supported. See the Vline Coach Melbourne Yarram service for timing details or ask us.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.