Group or Private Belém Tour with Jerónimos Monastery, Cloister & River Cruise
Due to Covid19, until the end of 2020, this tour will be amended to ensure your safety:
- Group size has been reduced. This will be amended as as Covid restrictions relax in accordance with local regulations
Travel by train out of Lisbon to explore the best of laid-back, breezy Belém, taking in two UNESCO World Heritage Sites on this illuminating half day tour with a local guide. Step inside the sprawling 16th Century Jeronimos Monastery and see more with special access to its magnificent cloisters. Hear stories behind the imposing Belém Tower - a ceremonial gateway for the city’s most adventurous explorers of the past - and learn about the symbolism of the Monument of the Discoveries. Finally, return to downtown Lisbon via a scenic river cruise with your guide on-hand to point out some of the city’s most intriguing sights - including the towering Christ Statue and April 25th Bridge.
Private Tours are offered in English, Spanish, and French
per adult from
What's included :
- Fully guided walking tour of Belém & Belém gardens
- Jerónimos Monastery entrance ticket
- Skip-the-line Jerónimos Cloister ticket
- Fully guided Jerónimos Monastery & Cloister
- Guided river cruise with reserved seating
- Complimentary pastel de nata (traditional Portuguese pastry)
- Train tickets to Belém
What's excluded :
- Hotel Pick-Up/Drop-Off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Lisbon, Lisbon, Lisbon District, Central Portugal
Beginning in downtown Lisbon, you’ll meet your guide and small group near the train station. No need to worry about tickets, traffic or logistics, that’s all sorted for you as you board the train for the short coastal journey to Belém.
Pass By: Belem, Belem, Lisbon, Lisbon District, Central Portugal
In the late 1400s the city of Lisbon found itself at the forefront of the Age of Exploration. And it was from the district of Belém that the most adventurous of its explorers set sail. From the gateway to the rest of the world in the 15th Century, to the laid-back, airy sanctuary from the sometimes stifling streets of Lisbon that it is today, the historic district of Belém has a fascinating story to tell, and there’s no better way to discover it that on an illuminating walking tour of the area with an local expert guide at the helm.
Pass By: Mosteiro dos Jeronimos, Praca do Imperio Belém, Lisbon 1400-206 Portugal
The first stop on your tour is the towering Jerónimos Monastery (Church of Santa Maria de Belém), a World Heritage Site best known for housing the tomb of celebrated Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama. High vaulted ceilings and ornate carved interiors give this impressive Gothic Manueline structure its striking aesthetics; its historical significance is in knowing that it was from here that many of the early explorers sought guidance and shelter the night before their ships set sail for the unknown.
Your special access to the Monastery means you’ll also gain entry (skipping any lines) to its serene two-storey cloister - an intricate arched walkway surrounding a tranquil garden which provides a peaceful setting to take in the history of the atmospheric, secular space.
Pass By: Torre de Belem Garden, Avenida de Brasilia avenida da torre de Belem/avenida de Brasilia next to combattentes memorial, Lisbon 1400-038 Portugal
Following your visit to the Monastery it’s on to manicured lawns of the Imperio Garden (Jardim da Praça do Império).
Pass By: Padrao dos Descobrimentos Avenida Brasilia Belem, Lisbon 1400-038 Portugal
Your guide will direct you to the Monument to the Discoveries (Padrão dos Descobrimentos); built to commemorate the Age of Discoveries. Without context, it can be hard to fully appreciate this statue - but you won’t have that problem! You’ll learn the significance of its size, and importance of its depictions - and of the Rose Compass (Rosa dos Ventos) and mosaic world map.
Pass By: Torre de Belem, Avenida Brasilia - Belem, Lisbon 1400-038 Portugal
Turn your attention to the Belém Tower (Torre de Belém) to discover its intriguing history.
Pass By: Rio Tejo, 6030, Portugal
Finally, a true highlight of your half-day tour, it’s time to take it all in - as the explorers did before - from the sea. You’ll take a guided tour of the waterfront on a river cruise back to downtown Lisbon, passing impressive structures such as the Christ Statue (Santuário Nacional de Cristo Rei), MAAT museum (Museum of Art, Architecture and Technology) and Golden Gate-style ‘25th of April’ suspension bridge (25 de Abril Bridge), before your journey comes to an end where it all began.
This fully guided walking tour is not only an enjoyable journey through one of Lisbon’s most beautiful districts, but also shines a light on the city’s starring role in the fascinating Age of Explorations.
Departure Point :Wines of Portugal, Terreiro do Paço, 1100-148 Lisboa, Portugal
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :Praça Europa, 1200-450 Lisboa, Portugal
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Due to Covid19, until the end of 2020, this tour will be amended to ensure your safety: Group size has been reduced. This will be amended as as Covid restrictions relax in accordance with local regulations
- Most travelers can participate
- Tour runs rain or shine - please bring suitable clothing.
- Please note that for security reasons bag searches could take place.
- We will travel by boat, if you suffer from some kind of seasickness take the proper precautions.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.