Guided Day Trip to the UNESCO Heritage Site Tiya and Adadi Mariam
Heading south-west on the Jimma road, before turning due south on to the Butajira Road, you find the most important Neolithic site in Ethiopia which is Melka Kunture. . You will also visit the museum at the site. Then heading 5Kms further on the Butajira road, you will visit the beautiful rock hewn church of Adadi Mariam , which is contemporaneous with those of Lalibela. At last, you set out to Tiya, classified by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, where you can see the northernmost example of a peculiar type of engraved, standing stellae which stretches across parts of southern Ethiopia.
per adult from
8 to 10 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pickup and drop-off at any location in Addis Ababa (Hotel, house or airport)
- Lunch, including a bottle of water and hot drinks
- Ground transportation including a car, a driver and fuel
- Accompanying English speaking guide
- Local tour guides
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses
- You will be picked up from your hotel between 7:30am and 8am. Accompanied by a tour guide and a driver you head toward south-west on the Jimma road, before turning due south on to the Butajira Road. Melka Kunture lies near the Awash River Gorge and is one of the most important Neolithic sites in Ethiopia. Melka Kunture is the site where Hand axes and other tools were excavated and has a museum on the premises where one could take a lovely tour. You then head towards the mystical Rock Hewn Church of Adadi Mariam which is contemporaneous with those of Lalibela – in fact local tradition ascribes it to King Lalibela who is said to have had it built on his visit to Mount Zuqwala in 1106. You will have a lovely picnic lunch near the Awash River Gorge.
At last you will visit Tiya, classified by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, where we can see the northernmost example of a peculiar type of engraved, standing stellae. These stellae are believed to have been erected between the 12th and 14th centuries and are almost certainly grave markers – recent excavations at Tiya have revealed the remains of young people of both sexes, buried on the site.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredAirports
- Bole Airport, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.