Guided Hobart Shore Excursion: Port Arthur Historic Site & Tessellated Pavement
Travel in luxurious high class quality coaches to one of Tasmania's most iconic destinations at Port Arthur on a local shore excursion. As a World Heritage listed site & important convict & colonial piece of Tasmanian history, it is a must see.
• Experience Tasmania's convict history by walking where they did, learn their stories & experience the harsh realities of convict life.
• Discover the stories of Port Arthur while listing to one of the sites fantastic guides on you included walking tour. Listen to the history & get the answers to questions that you may have.
• Admire Dead Man's Island on the included harbour cruise & learn about the grave sites, young boys prison, watermark line, & the shipbuilding industry that existed in this area.
• Pre-organised Port Arthur entrance tickets & local high quality professionally trained guides that cant wait to meet you.
• We guarantee your return back to the cruise ship before it departs port.
per adult from
What's included :
- No extra fees or prices on the tour day - excluding lunch
- Private coach transportation
- Professional English speaking local TAS guide with live commentary on board
- Tasmanian Local Bottled Water on board
- Air-conditioned coach transport with large spacious windows
- All attraction & destination entrance admission fees
- Direct Cruise Ship Terminal Port pick up
- Included Port Arthur Harbour Cruise & Expert guided site walk
- Entry/Admission - Port Arthur Historic Site
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Port Arthur Historic Site, Arthur Highway, Port Arthur, Tasmania 7182 Australia
Port Arthur Historic Site. Over its long history, Port Arthur has been a place of hardship and punishment, a place of opportunity, and a place of leisure. Now it is one of Australia’s most important heritage destinations, where the story of Australia’s colonial history is written in stone and brick. Well when you have a reference quote as ‘a machine to grind rogues honest’ that’s not going to end well for the people that were sent there. You will get the chance to read & learn the stories of some of the people who have passed through this place, walk where their stories unfolded, and learn about Port Arthur’s evolution from a feared convict settlement to a World Heritage-listed Historic Site.
The Port Arthur penal settlement began life as a small timber station in 1830 and quickly grew in importance within the colonies. Ship building was introduced on a large scale to Port Arthur as a way of providing selected convicts with a useful skill they could take with them once freed. You can see where the boats were built while on the harbour cruise, with many of the best ships of the time coming from these docks. Port Arthur Historic Site is a large site holding a great many stories.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Tessellated Pavement, 380 Pirates Bay Dr, Eaglehawk Neck TAS 7179, Australia
The Tessellated Pavement is something that is unique in the world. The strand connecting the Tasman Peninsula to the rest of Tasmania is covered in a pattern of regular rectangular saltwater pools. Although these depressions look distinctly manmade, they are the result of a rare type of natural erosion. It is a phenomenon that only happens in a few places worldwide. It has a mosaic like formation where the saltwater has eroded the rock to form these small crater-like squares, hence forming a ‘mosaic’ like pattern, in reference to the Roman mosaic floors that were common in the era that they would have formed.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :1: Tasmanian Travel & Information Centre, Information Hub, Elizabeth St, Hobart TAS 7000, Australia
2: Mac 2, 18 Hunter St, Hobart TAS 7000, Australia
Traveler pickup is offered
Your guide will meet you outside the MAC 2 Cruise Terminal in Hobart Port. Please be at the large numbers 02 outside near the taxi rank by 8:50am at the latest for collection. The guide will have a yellow fluro vest on for identification. Please call +61 0439 551 527 if you are unable to locate us. For local travelers, please use our other departure point.Ports
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 45 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.