Hadrian's Mausoleum (Castel Sant'Angelo) Small Group Tour
Your visit to this ancient and mystifying fortress, which was first the mausoleum of Roman Emperor Hadrian, after prison and now a Museum of Arms and Armor, will be truly unforgettable. One of the Roman monuments that is most well-preserved, Castel Sant’Angelo transformed through the centuries.
A professional guide will lead you through this transformation. Beginning on the Bridge of Hadrian completed in 134 AD by Emperor Hadrian, you’ll learn about the statues of the Apostles Saint Peter and Paul – along with the stunning angel sculptures adorning both sides of the bridge.
In addition, your guide will tell the story of the Passetto di Borgo, or simply “Passetto,” which is an elevated passage that links Vatican City with Castel Sant'Angelo. After, you will visit the Castle’s interior. You will discover how this Castle houses numerous small mysterious chambers – serving as a prison, underground oil stores, and even Papal Apartments.
per adult from
What's included :
- Entrance fees
- Licensed tour guide
- Semi-private group tour (13 people maximum)
- 2 hour tour
- Fluent english speaking guide
- A beautiful view from the terrace
- Entry/Admission - Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo
- Entry/Admission - Ponte Sant'Angelo
What's excluded :
- Private transportation
- Bottled water
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo, Lungotevere Castello 50, 00193 Rome Italy
Castel Sant'Angelo was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum. The structure was once the tallest building in Rome.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Ponte Sant'Angelo, Lungotevere Castello 50, 00193 Rome Italy
The bridge is faced with travertine marble and spans the Tiber with five arches, three of which are Roman; it was approached by means of ramp from the river. The bridge is now solely pedestrian, and provides a scenic view of Castel Sant'Angelo.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Piazza di Ponte Sant'Angelo, Piazza di Ponte S. Angelo, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Get to see this unique masterpiece - a castel in a city of Rome.
- All our guides are historians and speak fluent english.
- Group size is max.6 participants.
- We recommend you to wear comfortable shoes.
- It is permitted to take photos inside.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.