Half-Day Modern Art Tour in Ulaanbaatar
For centuries, art has been the window to understand the local people, the cultures and the ways of life of that particular society. Obviously, Mongolia's world famous history is fascinating but the visual arts of the country is equally engaging. This is an opportunity for anyone, who is not only interested in art but also in the intellectuals of this country. It gives you the chance to see how the creative minds of 20th century Mongolia thought, explored, imagined and envisioned.
As a team of artists, art historians, researchers and curators at Vanjil Arts Centre (Est.2013), we are offering this Modern Art Tour for tourists, business people, expats, repats and Mongolians in English! With the income earned from these trips, we invest back to the local artists and our long term art projects. You will be guided by an artist and curator Dr Tsendpurev Tsegmid, who has a PhD (LeedsBeckett, UK). She is working as the director of Vanjil Arts Centre.
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water - You will offered bottled waters in the beginning of the trip and coffee/tea is available at the Vanjil Arts Centre at the end of our trip.
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Mongolian National Modern Art Gallery
- Entry/Admission - Vanjil Arts Centre
What's excluded :
- Breakfast - The tour doesn't offer breakfast or lunch. However, we can help you to find good places to buy them while on tour.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mongolian National Modern Art Gallery, Central Cultural Palace-B Sukhbaataar Square-3, Ulaanbaatar Mongolia
Mongolian Modern Art is developed under the regime of Soviet Socialism and evolved in the ideology of communist politics during the 20th century. The primary works of Modern Mongolian Art predominantly present the ideas and characters of Socialist Realism. However, from 1960s, the new motions started in the Mongolian Art world by a certain group of artists and it brought much needed diversities in artistic expressions. Their new art languages were significantly different and shocking to the society, especially, to the administrators and communist leaders. The reaction had come out as a boycott from the leaders and they refused to accept the new ideas and experiments . Apparently, it did not stop the artists and they were still making their arts secretly in their studios or in their own spaces. But today, their works are displayed at the Mongolian National Modern Art Gallery (MNAG, Est.1991) It gives us a chance to see how the creative minds of 20th century Mongolia thought, explored, imagined and envisioned.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Art Gallery of Union of Mongolian Artists, Chinggis Ave, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
After visiting MNAG, we will head to Union of Mongolian Artists Art Gallery or UMA Gallery. UMA (Est.1942) is the oldest and the biggest union of its kind in the country, with over 600 artist members. It runs four large art studios house 200 artists and art gallery space stages over 50 art exhibitions annually. We will see the current exhibition and discuss about it.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vanjil Arts Centre, #300, Third Floor Gurvan Gal Office Bldg, Chingghis Avenue, Ulaanbaatar 14240, Ulaanbaatar 976-11 Mongolia
As a team of artists, art historians, researchers and curators at Vanjil Arts Centre (Est.2013), we are offering arts and cultural tours for visitors, business people, expats, repats and Mongolians in English! With the income earned from these trips, we invest back to the local artists and our long term art projects. Our centre supports local artists and artisans by selling their artworks and crafts. You will be able to purchase original artworks and limited editions.
You will stop at our centre, have a coffee or tea and access internet.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Sukhbaatar Square, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Return Detail :Vanjil Art Institute, #602, Gurvan Gal Office Center, Chinggis Ave 8-1, Улаанбаатар 14240, Mongolia
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.