Irish Seaweed Foraging Tour and Seaweed Inspired Cooking Class in a Local's Home
Meet your host Marie at her home for a cup of hot tea or coffee before heading out to the beach to start your seaweed foraging tour. You will drive to the Copper Coast beach in County Waterford. Explore the rocky shore, learn to identify edible seafood and discover how to sustainably forage for seaweed. Marie will explain the connections between the moons and tides so you have a real in-depth understanding of how and where on the shore you can find different types of seaweed.
Back home, you will learn to cook a creative Irish meal that incorporates the seaweed you foraged into every single dish! During your interactive seaweed cooking class you will be making three delicious dishes from scratch. You will learn to make a bread, a soup (Mulligatawny soup with kelp) and a dessert like sticky date and walnut pudding with seaweed.
Enjoy learning all about how to use seaweed in your cooking before you sit down at the table to share the meal you helped prepare!
per adult from
What's included :
- Private seaweed foraging tour wiht your host Marie
- Private cooking lesson and homecooked meal
- Local alcohol (1-2 glasses)
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Meet your host Marie at her home for a cup of hot tea or coffee and then you will drive about 10 minutes with Marie to the Copper Coast beach in County Waterford. Explore the rocky shore (terrain that seaweed attaches to), learn to identify edible seafood and discover how to sustainably forage for seaweed. The types of seaweed that you might expect to see are dilisk (knotty, red seaweed with a smoky flavor), kelp (long, brown stalks with a strong umami flavor) and carageen moss (a pretty, little red seaweed used as an alternative for gelatin). Marie will give you an in-depth understanding of how and where on the shore you can find different types of seaweed. Your foraging tour will last about one hour before you return to Marie’s home with seaweed that you have foraged yourself on the rocky shores of the Copper Coast.
Please note this is an adventurous experience. Marie recommends that you wear water-proof and slip-proof footwear (for example, gum boots or old sneakers) and dress for the weather of the day. Bear in mind that it will be cooler on the shore than on land.
Please note that this is a foraging tour, not a market tour even though it is categorized as such.
• eggplant and seaweed caponata roll or mulligatawny soup with kelp
• seaweed braised vegetables with noodles or garden and sea risotto and bread
• white chocolate and raspberry carrageen pudding - or sticky date and walnut pudding with seaweed
Departure Point :Waterford, Ireland
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Menu may vary depending on the season
- If any travelers in your party have any allergies, dietary restrictions or cooking preferences please advise at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Private, personalized experience
- Please note: Marie prefers cooking vegetarian meals. However, if you would like to have a meat dish, please let her know when you create your booking!
- Please also note: This is an adventurous experience. Marie recommends that you wear water-proof and slip-proof footwear (for example, gum boots or old sneakers) and dress for the weather of the day. Bear in mind that it will be cooler on the shore than on land.
- Please also note: Foraging experiences are dependent on the tide timings. After receiving your booking request, Marie will advise you on the times for the tide on the date you want an experience. Please note that this experience will require some amount of flexibility as you are dependent on nature for your wild seaweed foraging!
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.