Japan 14-Day Adventure Tour
Japan is a magical place where old and new collide. A country full of incredible natural beauty, futuristic cities of neon, world-renowned food, and a culture steeped in tradition. Japan has a way of enveloping you from the moment you step off the plane. The unique culture and friendliness of the people will stay with you forever. From partying in the famous Shinjuku area of Tokyo to walking down the stone paths of the Gion district in Kyoto, One Life Adventures - Japan will show you the best of the country in 10 days. Starting in Tokyo and finishing in Hiroshima we explore the most iconic areas of Japan plus some places off the tourist trail. By the end of the 10 days, you would have lived and breathed the Land of the Rising Sun.
We have an optional (extra cost) return transfer to Tokyo via bullet train for those wishing to get back to Tokyo at the end of the tour. Please note that this is an active, fast-paced, backpacking style tour with a lot of walking. Please make sure you’re adequately prepared.
- All accommodation in great locations
- Legendary One Life group leader
- All transport from Tokyo to Hiroshima, including the famous bullet trains!
- Big welcome dinner on your first night
- Culture and language class
- Experience the crazy Robot Restaurant show
- Visit to the Meiji Shrine
- Explore Harajuku and Akihabara
- Night skyline viewpoint of Tokyo from the Tokyo Govt Building
- Cross the famous Shibuya Scramble
- Walk through the birthplace of sushi; Tsukiji Market
- Take a sushi making masterclass
- Cable car in Hakone
- Pirate ship cruise to see Mt Fuji on a clear day
- Traditional Nabe dinner
- Scenic train to Takayama
- Sake tasting in the Old Town
- Sleep on tatami mats in a traditional temple stay
- Morning market visit
- Guided night walk in the Geisha district of old Kyoto
- Visit to the Golden Pavilion
- View lesser-known Zen garden
- Wander through the red gates of Fushimi-Inari
- View of Kyoto from Kiyomizu-dera Temple
- Learn Kendo (sword fighting) with a samurai descendant
- Take a guided meditation session in the dojo
- Climb Monkey Mountain
- Walk through the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest
- Bask in the amazing views of Arashiyama by gondola
- Experience a wild karaoke night in Osaka
- Go street-food tasting in Dotonbori
- Visit Osaka Castle
- Visit the lesser-known street food centre of Shinsekai
- Wander around the serene Nara to see its parks and temples
- Sleep over in another incredible Buddhist temple in Koyasan
- Sample the Buddhist vegetarian cuisine of Koyasan
- Visit Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park & Museum
- Explore Miyajima Island to see the floating shrine
- Unlimited good times!
Please note all bookings during the date period 24/07/2020-07/08/2020 have a surcharge due to the Japan Olympics. The itinerary will not vary from the usual itinerary and will not include tickets. This is a separate bookable product named Japan 14-Day Adventure Tour Olympics.
- Day 1 : Welcome to Japan!Touch down Japan! Welcome to the land of culture, a country with majestic mountains, crazy neon lights, world-class food & an ancient and fascinating history. A land where the sake is hot or cold, where the sun glistens off the snow-covered peaks, where incense floats around temples and shrines & where the technological advances take the world by storm. Japan is a dream, a desired destination where all those leave with a newfound sense of wonder. Arrive into your traditionally designed Tokyo hostel to be greeted by your tour guide. Once you’ve settled in, we’ll take you out to feast on Japanese cuisine and meet the rest of your group. After dinner, we’ll head to Asakusa to visit Senso-ji once the crowds have gone. This is one of the most important temples in Tokyo, an illustrious red temple that is a feast for the senses! Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Welcome Dinner, Senso-ji Temple Optional Activities - Tokyo SkytreeMeals :DinnerDay 2 : Explore Tokyo!We’ll start the morning off with a language and culture class. You’ll learn simple Japanese customs and phrases to help you dictate your way across the country. Once we have learned all we need, we’ll head out to the birthplace of Japanese teen pop culture - Harajuku! We’ll then head into Yoyogi Park to relax in the beautiful surroundings of the Meiji Shrine for the afternoon. In the evening, we head to Akihabara - known as Tokyo’s electric town, you’ll be blinded by all the neon lights and crazy shops! You can challenge each other in the arcades or head off to explore the rest of the area on your own. Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Japanese Language & Cultural Class, Survival Booklet, Harajuku Experience, Meiji Shrine & Visit to Yoyogi Park, Akihabara Experience Optional Activities - Maid Cafe, Batting CagesMeals :BreakfastDay 3 : Sushi Making Class & Robot RestaurantToday we’ll head to the world-famous Tsukiji Fish Market. Tokyo is famed for its seafood delights and this market is the birthplace of Japan’s most famous food; sushi! After you’ve explored the countless different fish stalls, we will head over to our sushi making class where sushi masters will teach you how to roll the perfect sushi and fry teriyaki! After your sushi lunch we’ll head back to the hostel for a quick freshen up before heading to the Tokyo Government Building Lookout for an unparalleled view of the city’s skyline. Next up we head to the famous Omoide Yokocho alley where you can find yourself a delicious meal of Yakitori before our next stop - the Robot Restaurant! We’ll watch an incredible show like no other, where performers will ride huge robots and dance to the theme of thriller whilst lasers and lights bounce off the walls of this famous destination. Wrapping up the day, we’ll visit the world-famous Shibuya Crossing together. Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Tsukiji Fish Market, Sushi Making Class, Tokyo Government Building Lookout, Robot Restaurant, Shibuya Crossing Optional Activities - N/AMeals :Breakfast, LunchDay 4 : Travel to Hakone and Mt. Fuji ViewingToday we leave Tokyo by the aptly named “Romance Car” to the stunning mountainous town of Hakone. After checking into our guesthouse accommodation nestled in the mountains, we will spend the afternoon exploring the surrounding areas on a variety of different transport, including a pirate ship! Why is Hakone so special? Well, not only is the food incredible but the views you can get of Mt. Fuji on a clear day will be pretty spectacular too! After we finish exploring, we’ll enjoy a typical Japanese Nabe dinner together and then head to the roof deck to watch the sunset over the spectacular little town. Accommodation - Twin Share on Tatami Mats with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Mt. Fuji Viewing, Ropeway*, Cable Car, Pirate Ship, Traditional Dinner Optional Activities - Onsen (Japanese Bath House) * Ropeway can potentially be closed due to volcanic activity, alternative transport will be arranged.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 5 : Takayama Temple StayToday we board the bullet train, a soaring feat of engineering that throws you across the countryside. We’ll take the train to Nagoya, and then a scenic train journey will take us past the stunning mountains all the way to the UNESCO World Heritage town of Takayama. Our accommodation tonight is in a stunning Japanese temple. Never before would you have stayed in more beautiful surroundings, your bed will be on simple tatami mats. In the afternoon, we’ll head out to taste some traditional Sake tasting and you can even treat yourself to some of the area’s infamously tasty Hida beef! After all of that you get a real chance you to focus on your mindful experience as you sleep soundly in the temple with most rooms offering views of a traditional Japanese garden. Accommodation - Multi-share in a Temple Included Activities - Sake Tasting, Temple Stay, Tour of Takayama Old Town Optional Activities - Onsen, Public Bath House, ArcheryMeals :NoneDay 6 : Arrive in Kyoto & Gion Walking TourIn the morning your guide will take you down to the morning market on the banks of the Miyagawa River so you can find yourself some traditional Japanese breakfast. We’ll then board the train back to Nagoya and take our final bullet train to Kyoto. Famous for its shrines, temples and Geisha’s - Kyoto is a sure fire way to find your inner peace and get lost exploring its small alleyways. In the evening we’ll walk around Kyoto’s Gion district, known for Geisha’s (Japan’s traditional art form of entertainment) - if you’re lucky enough, you might even spot one! Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Gion District Walking Tour Optional Activities - Kimono Hire, Geisha PerformanceMeals :NoneDay 7 : Golden Pavilion, Zen Gardens and Kendo ClassThis morning we’ll head to the astonishing Golden Pavilion, a beautiful gold laden building, surrounded by lakes which showcase a stunning reflection of the building. After we’ll head to Daitoku-Ji, a quiet, leafy complex of old temples, away from the main tourist districts. In the afternoon we head to a traditional Kendo (Samurai sword fighting) class housed in the dojo where it all began. Your authentic Bushido instructor, a descendent of a Japanese Samurai, will teach you the way of this respectful martial art, before finishing with a 10 minute guided meditation to finish off this incredible day. Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Golden Pavilion, Zen Garden, Kendo Class & Guided Meditation in Dojo Optional Activities - N/AMeals :BreakfastDay 8 : Kyoto Temple & Shrine TourWe’ll rise early in the morning and take the subway to the Fushimi-Inari Shrine. We arrive early to escape the bustling throng of tourists and work our way through the mountain exploring the corridors of never-ending red gates. Afterwards, we head to Kiyomizu-dera, one of Japan’s most famous temples. A stunning bamboo and wooden complex that sits high in the mountain side. The rest of the afternoon is yours to explore, check out Nishiki Market or head back to the Gion District to wind your way through the quaint streets before we leave Kyoto for Osaka! Meals - Breakfast Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Fushimi-Inari Shrine, Kiyomizu-dera Temple Optional Activities - Nishiki Market, Bike RentalMeals :BreakfastDay 9 : Arrive in Osaka, Food Tour and KaraokeThis morning we take the train to Arashiyama. This stunning town is flanked by mountainous valleys with a river working its way through the middle. We’ll start off by wandering through the Instagram worthy bamboo forest, before climbing the steps up to Monkey Mountain. Once we make our way down, we’ll board a private row boat and explore the valley the traditional Japanese way. We’ll then jump on the train and head to Osaka. After checking in we will head out into the Dotonbori area, a wild ride of an inner city complex, the ‘kitchen of Japan’ will take you in with its lights, colours, food and people and after our food tour you won’t want to leave. There is no better way to view this incredible, living, breathing city than tasting your way through it. In the evening we’ll wrap up our tour with one final Japanese tradition – Karaoke! Accommodation - Triple Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, Monkey Mountain, 30-minute boat tour, Dotonbori Food Tour (4 dishes), All-You-Can-Drink Karaoke Optional Activities - Canal Boat Tour, Extended KaraokeMeals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 10 : Osaka Castle & ShinsekaiAfter nursing your head from last night’s antics, we thought it best to give you the morning off to explore Osaka yourself. Visit the incredibly trendy AmericaTown, wander down the Shinsaibashi Shopping District, give your body a well-deserved rest in Spa World or browse the wonderful world of electronics in Den-Den Town. We’ll meet in the evening and head over to Osaka Castle, a beautiful structure in the centre of the city surrounded by lush gardens. We’ll watch the sunset from here, before heading over to Dotonbori’s little brother, Shinsekai, for dinner in the evening. Accommodation - Triple Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Osaka Castle Optional Extras - N/AMeals :BreakfastDay 11 : Nara Park & Koyasan Temple StayAn early start today as we head out of the city, 30 minutes on the train to beautiful Nara. As we leave the train station and begin our walk towards the main park, keep your eyes out for the friendly locals along the way. Nara is famous for being a city that lives symbiotically with deer and is historically important as the former capital of ancient Japan. We’ll make our way around the serene park & stunning temples before heading back to Osaka to collect our bags and make our way to Koyasan. After a 90-minute ride, we’ll take a mix of cable cars and finally a bus to our accommodation deep in the heart of the mountain. Koyasan is a beautiful little temple town, summed up by the tourism boards slogan “If nature does indeed bring mankind closer to the cosmos, then Koyasan is its embodiment”. This is your chance to live the temple way of life in a real, working temple. Learn more about the monks that dedicate their lives to this area and wander the countless temples and shrines that are dotted all around. Dinner is a very special vegetarian meal made from ingredients sourced by the monks in the local area. Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Nara Park & Temple Stay Optional Activities - N/AMeals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 12 : Morning in Koyasan & Travel to HiroshimaWake in the morning to the sound of nature and take part in the morning chanting prayers with the monks. Breakfast is a traditional “temple style” meal made by the monks. Make sure to make the most of your final morning in this truly unforgettable destination. Just before lunch we’ll make our way back to Osaka and head to Hiroshima on the bullet train. After a 90-minute ride, we’ll take the streetcar to our accommodation in the centre of the city. After some down time, we’ll walk to the humbling Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and be taken around this area by our local guide to truly educate you on the area’s astonishing past. View the Atomic Dome, ring the peace bell and say a prayer at the eternal flame. This incredibly important city will live long in the memory. We’ll then finish with a walk around the museum to learn about Hiroshima’s devastating past before grabbing some food and calling it a night. Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Peace Museum Optional Activities - N/AMeals :BreakfastDay 13 : Miyajima IslandA later start to the day today as we take the metro to the beautiful Miyajima Island, location 1hr away from Hiroshima. On arrival we’ll take a short ferry ride to the island, known for its stunning collection of forests and ancient temples. After disembarking from the ferry we’ll take an easy stroll around the island, visiting the incredible Great Torii gate which sits just offshore. This famous giant, orange Torii gate sits partially submerged at high tide. Next, you’ll have the afternoon free to explore the serenity of the rest of this island paradise. In the evening, we’ll head out one last time as a group for our final day in Japan. Accommodation - Twin Share with Shared Bathroom Included Activities - Miyajima Island Optional Activities - N/AMeals :BreakfastDay 14 : Depart!And that’s a wrap! Today we finish in the beautiful city of Hiroshima, take one final walk around the memorial park or go for a sunrise run along the river. Your guide will assist you in your onward travel whether you continue to travel around Japan, head back home or join us on another One Life tour in a different, but equally incredible place! We hope we’ve inspired you to #exploremore. Accommodation - N/A Included Activities - N/A Optional Activities - N/AMeals :Breakfast
The tour starts at Khaosan Origami Hostel in Asakusa. Airport pick up is not included in this package.
Transport back to Tokyo or Osaka
Meals unless otherwise stated
Anything not listed as an inclusion in the itinerary