Lake St. Clair and Western Wilderness Active Day Trip from Hobart
Join us for a journey into the Western Wilderness of Tasmania! This is one of the world’s premier World Heritage Areas. With amazing cultural and natural history to discover, we explore this awe-inspiring area with a series of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks” designed to showcase Tasmania’s premier World Heritage Area and the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. The premier walk on this day is the Donaghy’s Wilderness Lookout walk and we are thrilled to bring you an opportunity to access this area in 1 BIG day starting and finishing from Hobart.
• Tarraleah Village & Tasmania’s Hydro History
• Cradle Mountain - Lake St. Clair National Park
• Lake St. Clair: Australia's deepest freshwater lake
• “Great Short Walks” of Lake St. Clair
• Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park
• Franklin River Nature Trail
• Donaghys Hill Wilderness Lookout
• Tasmania's World Heritage Wilderness Area
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- National Park entrance fees
- Professional guide and interpretive walks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Small, friendly groups
- We offer a Hotel pick up from most central city Hotels and Hostels
- Entry/Admission - Lake St. Clair
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks (please either pre purchase, or there will be the opportunity to purchase on tour)
- We do not offer pick ups from Air BnB’s and private residences
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Tasmania Australia
Explore the southern end of the Cradle Mountain–Lake St. Clair National Park and the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park with a series of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks”.
We commence our day from Hobart with a scenic drive west arriving at Australia’s deepest lake: Lake St. Clair. This is an area carved out by ice during several glaciations over the last 2 million years. A panorama of mountains and wild forests form the backdrop around the spectacular lake. We have time here to enjoy a range of short walks exploring the forests and wild rivers that abound the area of Lake St. Clair. Or, you may choose to relax on the shoreline, slow down and enjoy the fresh air and surrounding scenery.
Moving onwards from Lake St. Clair we head into the heart of the Western Wilderness. In this National Park we explore more of Tasmania’s Great Short Walks. This first walk, a beautiful rainforest walk, along the edge of the wild Franklin river. Discover the fascinating history of this river as our Tour Guide shares the stories of the politics that played out in the area in the 1980’s.
Then it’s onwards to what we rank as one of the greatest of the “60 Great Short Walks” of Tasmania! A short uphill hike (around 30 minutes) takes us to Donaghy’s Hill Wilderness Lookout where we have 360 degree views of mountain after mountain. Wild rivers, forests, button grass plains, 30,000 years of Tasmanian Aboriginal history – as far as the eye can see. A stunning and awe-inspiring view of one of the world’s greatest wild areas that survives today. This is a humbling and inspiring place to stand taking in our surroundings.
“The Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area offers all people, for all time, the opportunity to seek joy and inspiration amidst the untrammelled grandeur of nature, and refuge from an increasingly artificial world. It is waiting for you to discover it, and, perhaps, discover a part of yourself.” – www.parks.tas.gov.au
We retrace our steps and begin the return trip to Hobart. After a full day out west, we arrive back to Hobart around 6.30 – 7.00pm.
Duration: 11 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
• Hotel pick ups are scheduled between 7.00am - 7.25am from select hotels and hostels in the central city area (tour departs Hobart at 7.30am)• Hotel pick ups need to be arranged directly with the tour operator prior to your departure• If pick up has not been arranged, our general pick up point is 7.25am at the Tasmanian Travel & Information Centre (20 Davey Street, Hobart)
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years
- Walking is involved; a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential
- We provide accurate interpretation, and keep wildlife disturbance to a minimum by viewing from appropriate distances and informing our guests how to view wildlife with patience and respect. Activities are always confined to tracks and boardwalks to minimize negative impacts.
- Hotel pickup time is between 7 AM and 7:30 AM depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels ( no AirBnB’s). Please arrange pickup from your hotel at least 48 hours prior to departure with the tour operator.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Your safety is our priority. Tours operate in compliance with current local regulations.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.