Lalibela Rock Churches Guided Tour
One can say that every tourist who decides to visit our country comes here and sees these quite remarkable and also strange monolithic, semi-monolithic and cave 'buildings, churches of Lalibela' which still leave the scientists puzzled about their possible creation process and are therefore often called the 8th wonder of the world. The style of the excavation is unique: most of the churches are below ground level. Roha - Lalibelas old name - is around 800 years old and after Axum the second holiest city in Ethiopia.
It is a medieval town and one of the greatest historical sites in the Christian world. For the Ethiopian Christmas in January there are tens of thousands of pilgrims in town, sometimes walking for a month to reach the churches. In 1978 Lalibela, which lays at an altitude of 2520m, was listed as a world heritage site...
per adult from
1 to 2 days
What's included :
- Car with its driver and fuel
- An English speaking professional tour guide
- Transport by private vehicle
- Transfer from/to the airport
- Coffee ceremony in a Local Family
- Visit to the town
- Town transfer
What's excluded :
- Entrance fee for Lalibela chruches
- Meals and Drinks
- Entry/Admission - Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela
- Entry/Admission - Church of St. George
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Highland Eco Trekking Tours Ethiopia, Near Maribela Hotel, Lalibela Ethiopia
The tour company
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela, Lalibela 1260 Ethiopia
A guide from our team will meet you at Lalibela airport arrival with a car to bring you to your Hotel. The drive from the Airport to Laibela town (your hotel) would be 24 k/m, and takes around 30 minutes.
After check-in, start your tour to the UNESCO World Heritage site rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, visiting the Northwestern Cluster of churches, which is built by the symbol of the earthly Jerusalem:
-Bet Medhane Alem, Bet Maryam, Bet Meskel, Bet Danaghel, Bet Mikael & Bet Golgotha (entry not permitted for Women).
From 12 - 2pm the churches are closed and the key -man will go for lunch break.
We also will take you to one of the best restaurant for lunch (7olives Hotel).
In the afternoon, after lunch continue with the South-eastern Cluster of churches, built by the symbol of heavenly Jerusalem:
–Bet Gabriel-Rufael, Bet Merkorios, Bet Amanual, and Bet Abba Libanos.
Finally, you will visit the most famous of all the churches –Bet Giyorgis (St George), constructed in honour of the patron Saint George.
After having visited all the churches, we take you to the villages where you will be able to see the way life of the locals very closely, and get invited for our famous traditional coffee ceremony.
In the Evening after dinner in Kana restaurant, we will invite you to try our famous home-made Honey wine, in one of the best traditional bar we have in town called Torpido. There you will also have the chance to see the Amhara tribes dance and enjoy our traditional music live. Then we bring you to your hotel.
Next day morning transfer to the airport.
* If you arrive in the afternoon in Lalibela, you will visit some of the churches from 2pm -5pm, then visit the rest of the churches before your departure to the airport.
We also organize an amazing ECO trekking tour to the highlands above Lalibela, Contact us for details or see our listed tour here on Tripadvisor Experience
Duration: 1 day
Stop At: Church of St. George, Lalibela Ethiopia
The famous cross shaped church of St. George is one of the highlight of Lalibela churches.
Duration: 40 minutes
Departure Point :Lalibela, Ethiopia
Traveler pickup is offered
From the airport and any hotels in Lalibela
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.