Lonely Planet Experiences: Chinatown & North Beach with Tea & Dessert Local Tour
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures.
Between the Beatniks of North Beach and must-see Chinatown, you'll get more than a taste of tea while exploring San Francisco. Hear legendary tales on a 2.5-hour walking tour and visit a Chinese temple, tea shop and fortune cookie maker. Then stroll past Italian cafes and restaurants while viewing iconic spots such as City Lights Bookstore, Coit Tower, and Washington Square Park.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Professional Local Guide
- Chinese dessert samples
- Tea tasting with a tea master
- Fortune Cookie
What's excluded :
- Gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Dragon's Gate, Bush St What3words: ///also.secret.ever, San Francisco, CA 94108
Meet your guide and small group, limited to 12 participants, at Chinatown Gate. You'll venture on foot through two vibrant neighborhoods and discover tucked-away spots down unassuming alleys.
Pass By: Chinatown, Grant Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94108
Immerse yourself in the cultural and aesthetic contrasts between one of the largest and oldest Chinese communities outside of Asia and the European charm of North Beach, birthplace of the Beat Generation.
Follow your guide through the bustling streets and learn about the history of this Chinese community during San Francisco's Gold Rush, as well as America's railway-building boom. Visit one of Chinatown’s oldest bakeries for an authentic mooncake pastry; they're so good even former President Bill Clinton stopped here for a bite of these traditional delicacies.
From here, proceed to Waverly Place and have your fortune read at the oldest Chinese temple in the US. Then weave your way between performing street artists to taste fortune cookies hot off the press, followed by an in-depth tea tasting session where you will learn about the different types and flavors of traditional Chinese tea.
Pass By: North Beach, Broadway at Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94111
Next, it’s on to North Beach to see the famous hangouts of Beat poets Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsburg, including City Lights Bookstore, which still publishes the works of local poets.
Pass By: Coit Tower, 1 Telegraph Hill Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94133-3106
Get a feel for North Beach (the city's Little Italy) as you stroll past cafes of the Barbary Coast and look up at Coit Tower.
Pass By: Washington Square, Union Street and Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
Your tour concludes at Washington Square Park, a well-appointed location that's adjacent to Italian restaurants, all within easy access to public transportation.
Stop At: San Francisco Urban Adventures, San Francisco, CA
You'll be guided by one of our fantastic guides!
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Departure Point :Dragon's Gate, Bush St, Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA 94108, USA
Departure Time :1:30 PM
Return Detail :Saints Peter and Paul Church, 666 Filbert St, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Dress code is smart casual
- Small group tour of a maximum of 12 people
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.