Lonely Planet Experiences: Marrakech Medina Walking Tour Including Bahia Palace
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures.
Navigate Marrakech’s labyrinthine medina and visit other city highlights with a local guide on this half-day walking tour. Visit the grand Bahia Palace and hear fascinating stories of sultans and slaves from your guide. Head into the medina to sample some freshly baked bread and finally, admire photographs of Marrakech from a century ago and learn more about the city’s rich culture at the Photography Museum of Marrakech.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Bread tasting
- Entry/Admission - Palacio da Bahia
- Entry/Admission - Maison de la Photographie
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Additional food and drinks
- Begin your small-group walking tour of Marrakech in Djemaa El-Fna, the bustling central square in the medina. Your local guide will lead you through the maze of souqs -- or markets -- and vendors and escort you through the confusing alleyways of the medina, the old part of Marrakech. Instead of having to worry about finding your way around, you'll be able to marvel at the many carpet shops, spice stalls and artisans you pass.
Your first stop is Bahia Palace (Palais de Bahia). Wander the numerous rooms and courtyards and admire the mosaics, woodwork and fountains as your guide shares tales of the sultans who once lived here with their wives, concubines and slaves.
Next, head back into the medina with your guide and stop at a local bakery. See how locals prepare their own bread at home but bring it here to be baked. You'll get to taste some of the delicious bread on offer before moving on to another spot in the medina where the traditional dish tanjia is prepared.
Continue your tour at the Photography Museum of Marrakech, which has a collection of 4,500 photos that offer a glimpse of life in Marrakech a century ago. Admire stirring portraits of locals, village scenes and images of the Berber tribes of the Atlas Mountains that will give you a better understanding of Marrakech's history and culture.
Finish your educational and exciting 4-hour walking tour of Marrakech back in Djemaa El-Fna, where your guide can give you directions back to your hotel or you can continue exploring the mesmerizing medina on your own.
Departure Point :Marrakesh 40000, Morocco
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
- A conservative dress code is recommended in Morocco. Men and women should keep their upper body (especially shoulders, chest and midriff) as well as their knees covered at all times as a sign of respect to the local culture. Wearing shorts is not recommended.
- Maximum group size is 12.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- All the stops you make on this tour are 100% local, which means the local community directly benefits from the tour.
- You visit the culturally important Jemaa el-Fna Square, listed by UNESCO as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
- Your tour includes entrence fees to Palais De Bahia and the Photography Museum, which helps to maintain the sites and preserve local cultural heritage.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.