Malta Shore Excursion: Private tour of Valletta, Vittoriosa and Hagar Qim Temple
If you’re interested in the fascinating and long history of Malta, this is the perfect shore excursion while you’re in port. On this private tour from Valletta, you’ll learn about the Knights of Malta, visit places they built and explore the prehistoric Hagar Qim temple. Malta is an exceptional and historical island with UNESCO World Heritage-listed capital and intriguing sites. If you are a history buff, this is the shore excursion for you!
per adult from
7 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private vehicle
- Boat cruise (weather permitted)
- Private tour guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Worry-Free Shore Excursion Guarantee
- Entry/Admission - St. John's Co-Cathedral
- Entry/Admission - Hagar Qim Temples
- Entry/Admission - Grandmaster's Palace
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This private shore excursion into Malta’s history will take you from the cruise port in Valletta to Vittoriosa and the Hagar Qim temple. You’ll start with a boat ride across the harbor aboard a traditional Maltese boat called a dghajsa, cruising to the town of Vittoriosa, You will stroll through Vittoriosa’s quaint narrow streets with your guide, passing by the Church of St Lawrence, the Inquisitor’s Palace, and several auberges and beautiful palaces built during the time of the Knights.
From Vittoriosa, you will venture to the southern side of the island, where you’ll visit Hagar Qim, an imposing prehistoric temple dating back to approximately 3600 BC. Many artifacts of interest have been unearthed at Hagar Qim, notably a decorated pillar altar, two table-altars and the ‘fat lady' statues, now on display in the National Museum of Archaeology in Valletta.
You'll then head back to Valletta, Malta’s capital and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You’ll have free time for lunch, and then you’ll continue the tour with a visit to the Upper Barrakka Gardens. Next, walk past Auberge de Castille, which houses the office of the Prime Minister, on your way to St John's Co-Cathedral, the 16th-century church built by the Knights of Malta.
The Co-Cathedral also houses Malta’s finest piece of art, The Beheading of St John by Caravaggio. Leaving St John’s Co-Cathedral, you’ll pass through Valletta’s main thoroughfare, which will bring you to the Grandmaster’s Palace State rooms.
You’ll then be returned to the cruise terminal.
Worry-Free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Malta port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
If arriving by ship, you will need to walk along the quay and through the terminal building. The guide will be waiting for you as you exit the terminal. Note:In the unlikely event that your ship docks in Senglea (across the harbor from Valletta), the ship will provide a complimentary boat transfer across to Valletta. Please take this shuttle and proceed through the terminal building as per the normal instructions to the meeting point. We pick up from all Hotels. Just let us know where you are staying and we will organise.Ports
- Pinto Wharf, Floriana. Valletta Grand Harbour.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- At time of booking, Cruise Ship passengers must provide the following details under Special Requirements: Ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time.
- The ‘dghajsa' boats can hold up to 6 passengers (or 5 passengers and 1 guide) per boat and are not covered, so sun protection and a windbreaker are recommended.
- Weight restriction of 450 kg total per boat
- Guests need to be agile to embark and disembark boats.
- Please note dghajsa' crossing is weather permitting
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Face masks must be worn in vehicles and in museums
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.