Marathon & Thermopylae Battlefields Private Day Tour from Athens
One of our favorite tours, this one is dedicated to those who fell in the name of freedom. This special tour was designed to accommodate those interested in ancient Greek battles, those who want to discover two major battlefields of the Persian wars, the plane of Marathon and Thermopylae.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional Drivers with Deep knowledge of history. [Not licensed to accompany you in any site.]
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private transportation
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Entrance Fees [8€ for over 6 yo for Non EU & 24 yo for EU Citizens]
- Airport Pick Up and drop-off (Additional cost)
- Licensed Tour guide upon request depending on availability [Additional cost - 250 €]
- Entry/Admission - Marathon Tomb
- Entry/Admission - Archaeological Museum of Marathon
- Entry/Admission - Historical Information Center Thermopylon
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Marathon Tomb, Marathon 190 07 Greece
One of our favorite tours, this one is dedicated to those who fell in the name of freedom. This special tour was designed to accommodate those interested in ancient Greek battles, those who want to discover two major battlefields of the Persian wars, the plane of Marathon and Thermopylyae. Heading out from Athens to the sacred plain of Marathon driving through Attica Highway and Marathon Avenue. This is the course of the original Marathon Race, as you will see by the signs that count each kilometer. Later we will reach the Tumulus of the Athenians; the site portrays courage, bravery and finally the victory of the Athenians against the Persians in 490 BCE.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Archaeological Museum of Marathon, Vranas, Marathon 190 07 Greece
Moving on we will also see the Marathon Battlefield, its Archaeological Museum and a prehistoric cemetery that produces proof of the first civilized presence in this location.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Marathon Lake, Marathon Greece
Driving by the present city of Marathon our last stop in this area we will be Marathon Lake, on the slopes of Mt Penteli. It is an artificial lake operating as the main water reservoir for Athens in the past and its dam, a great mechanic construction of the starts of 20th century.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Historical Information Center Thermopylon, Lamia 35009 Greece
Next, we will be back on board for a drive to Thermopylae. It was here that 10 years after the Battle of Marathon, King Leonidas and his 300 brave Spartans heroically faced the Persian army. In the historical center, an enjoyable a 3D movie will be shown.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Leonidas Monument, Lamia, Thermopylae 350 09 Greece
As if traveling through time you will feel the presence of heroes who stood their ground for their freedom against a foreign conqueror. To conclude you will visit the statue of Leonidas standing exactly opposite Kolonos Hill where the persistent Spartans left their last breath.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Spring of Thermopylae, Thermopylae Greece
Drive-by the hot springs
Stop At: Battlefield of Thermopylae, Thermopylae Greece
Walk around the Thermopolae Battlefield.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Athens, Athens, Attica
Heading back to Athens we will stop at the coastal town of Kammena Vourla, where we will enjoy a relaxing, traditional Greek lunch by the sea. And to terminate the tour we will drive back to Athens safe and sound.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We suggest that the tour starts at 8:00 am. If for any reason this is not convenient for you we will adjust the time according to your needs.Ports
- Piraeus Port
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- The drivers are not licensed to accompany you inside any site or museum. If you require a licensed guide to tour the sites with you, you need to hire one additionally. If you have any questions you can contact us on the phone number provided by Viator.
- The duration of the tours is approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions.
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Our company complies with all the health instructions of the World Health Organization about COVID-19.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.