Mayan Cultural Private Tour
Leave Placencia to Nu’uk Che’ll to join Ernesto and Aurora Saqui for an amazing experience and personal insights into the Mayan history, culture and lifestyle. Ernesto and Aurora, both of Maya decent, invite you to participate in traditional activities, herbal cures, spiritual cleansing, and learning how to cook Maya dishes.
per adult from
What's included :
- Pick Up and Drop Off in Placencia Village.
- Tour Guide.
- Park Fees.
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off outside of Placencia Village (but can arrange)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Maya Center Village, Maya Center Village, Stann Creek
Maya Center is about an hour drive from Placencia and is near the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary. Aurora learned from the world renowned herbal doctor, Don Eligio Panti – her uncle. She practices herbal medicine and cleansing and is working with others to preserve the Mayan culture. She is the author of two books Janal ai Maya (Maya Cuisine) and U tza’ac Aj Maya (Maya Medicine). Ernesto, on the other hand, is a respected community leader devoted to conservation and the promotion of Maya cultural traditions and ceremonies, Maya weddings and spirituality for those who may need renewal of their life. A trained teacher, Ernesto loves to share his knowledge and love of all things Mayan.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Placencia, Placencia, Stann Creek
The visit to Nu’il Che’ll begins with learning to cook a meal the Mayan way on a fire hearth. Aurora will teach you how to make a tortilla and then how to make tamales. While the meat and tamales are cooking Aurora will take you on the medicinal trail where you will learn about the plants and their medicinal value – the jungle was a pharmacy to the Maya. By the time you get back, lunch is served. During lunch ask Aurora and Ernesto about the fascinating history of the Maya and their village. After lunch, visit the cacao farm to see how the cacao is grown, harvested and dried. Then head over to the little chocolate factory to make chocolate from cacao beans the old fashioned way. Make and eat your very own chocolate bar.
What to Bring: Running shoes or hiking boots are fine along with camera, sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, and a sense of curiosity about a culture older than that of Egypt!
Departure Point :Placencia, Placencia, Stann Creek
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Infant meals not included.
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Belize protocol requires guests to arrive at pickup points or at our dive center wearing masks, apply hand sanitizer and be subject to temperature measurement. You must wear your mask except when eating or drinking.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.