Medieval Three Villages Small Group Day Trip from Barcelona
Leave Barcelona and travel back to ancient times on this small-group tour of Catalonia’s medieval villages. Visit the beautifully preserved villages of Besalú and Tavertet and learn interesting facts about these historical locations from your guide. Have free time in Rupit village to see the Baroque-era Church of Sant Miquel and have a traditional Catalan lunch (own expense) at a local restaurant. Take in views of the remains of the Castle of Rupit, Castellfollit de la Roca and the Cingles de Tavertet sandstone cliffs. This small-group tour ensures you’ll receive personalized attention from your guide.
per adult from
10 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Palace of Catalan Music, Carrer Palau de la Musica, 4-6, 08003 Barcelona Spain
8.15am - You will start your day at our main office, which is right next to the famous Palau de la Musica. You will meet your guide, have time to use the restrooms, and perhaps even grab a quick coffee before the tour begin. Your guide will explain all about the day ahead and what to expect as you wait for you tour to leave.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Eixample, Barcelona, Spain
8.30am - You will leave Barcelona though the Example district of town. As you head out of the city, your guide will give you a brief history of Barcelona, before letting you sit back and relax on the 90 minute drive to Besalu.
Stop At: Besalu, Besalu, Province of Girona, Catalonia
10.00am - The charming medieval village of Besalú is our first stop of the day.
You will begin with a walking tour of this ancient town, stopping to admire its streets lined with medieval-era architecture. You will have free time to wander around the narrow streets or to find a secluded café and sit back to watch people pass by.
Some of the highlights to visit are the 12th Century Romanesque Medieval bridge, the 11th Century Monastery of St. Pere, and the Jewish Baths, otherwise known as the Mikveh, dating back to the 12 Century.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Castellfollit de la Roca, Castellfollit de la Roca, Province of Girona, Catalonia
12.30pm - From Besalú, we will head to Rupit. On the way, we will pass by Castellfollit de la Roca, located high up on the edge of a basalt precipice. It's one of the smallest towns in Catalonia with just 1,000 habitants living in just 3,280 square feet (1,000 square meters)
Stop At: Rupit, Rupit, Catalonia
1.00pm - Once in Rupit, you’ll have around two hours to wander around this beautiful hamlet at your leisure.
You will be able to stroll the cobblestone roads lined with 16th-century houses, cross the city’s hanging wooden bridge, and make a visit Rupit’s baroque-era Church of Sant Miquel.
This is also where you will have lunch. There are a number of traditional restaurants to choose from. Your guide will be happy to help you, or even make a reservation for you. After lunch, you can visit the ruins of the Castle of Rupit set on a picturesque rocky peak, or you could even take a picnic and eat outside there.
From Rupit, we take a scenic drive towards the sandstone cliffs at Cingles de Tavertet.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Tavertet, Tavertet, Catalonia
4.00pm - In Tavertet, the final medieval village we visit, enjoy a short walk to the stunning cliffs overlooking Pantà de Sau lake. Hear a few details about the village from your guide before checking out the 11th-century romanesque Church of Sant Cristòfol.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Montseny, Montseny, Catalonia
5.30pm - Finish your trip with a ride back to Barcelona, during which you’ll enjoy vistas of verdant-green forests like Magatalls, along with the UNESCO Man and Biosphere-listed El Montseny natural park.
Pass By: Plaza de Cataluna, Placa de Catalunya, 08206 Barcelona Spain
6.45pm - After a day stepping back in time we will arrive in Barcelona around 6.45pm. You guide will help you find a taxi or the way to the metro to return to your hotel, or recommend some restaurants where to have dinner.
Departure Point :Explore Catalunya, C/ Palau de la Música, 1, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Hard Rock Cafe, Plaça de Catalunya, 21, 08002 Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour operates only in English
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- At Explore Catalunya we take the Coronavirus outbreak very seriously. In addition to our safety procedures, we have adapted our tours to avoid periods where there might be large crowds, and we have carefully ensured that any places we visit follow the same high hygiene standards as us.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.