Mexican Cooking Lesson in a Local Home
Alex and Ale are a fun, local couple passionate about sharing their Mexican culture and cuisine with guests. Enjoy a private, homemade Mexican cooking class and meal in their simple yet vibrant apartment.
Join Alex and Ale in their kitchen to learn to make 3-4 traditional Mexican dishes including a homemade salsa. You might learn dishes such as flatuas, tostadas or enmoladas which are corn tortillas stuffed with chicken in a mole sauce. Mole is a dark chocolate-based sauce with lots of spices that is very popular in Mexico and easy to cook - a great sauce to add to your Mexican cooking repertoire. As Alex and Ale have a small kitchen you can expect to do the cooking preparation in the bar area and use the kitchen for the final cooking. Dine together on the homemade Mexican meal you prepared with this delightful couple.
If there is a particular Mexican dish you are eager to try, please let Alex know when making your booking.
per adult from
What's included :
- Private cooking class and meal with your host Alex and Ale
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Alex lives with his wife Alejandra (Ale) in downtown Mexico City, just blocks from the Plaza de la Constitución. Alex is a K3 teacher in the American School Foundation, while Ale is a professional tour guide who is passionate about sharing her Mexican culture and cuisine with guests. Ale has a wealth of knowledge about the country's history, anthropology, folklore, and of course, culinary traditions.
Alex drew inspiration to cook from his grandfather who would serve delicious nopales (grilled cactus paddles) at his home every Sunday. He learned to cook watching his mother and experimenting in the kitchen after watching food shows on TV. The smells and flavors of his childhood and family meals inspired him to cook more, and now he loves sharing this knowledge with his 6-year old students during their regular cooking class.
Both Alex and Ale love sharing meals with friends and family as much as they enjoy cooking. The food that they serve is a mix of modern Mexican dishes as well as Pueblan cuisine, where Ale comes from. While you sip on your welcome drink, Alex and Ale will talk to you about the importance of food in Mexican culture. After your cooking class sit down together to enjoy a meal that includes 3-4 dishes and one or two salsas followed by a dessert. Your meal will be accompanied by beverages like fresh hibiscus water and if you select alcohol, beer and mezcal. Your menu may include traditional and modern Mexican dishes such as picadillo tostadas, enmoladas or flautas or a variety of tacos which will be served with a selection of salsas like salsa verde or roja. Your meal will conclude with a dessert like sweet Mexican corn cake.
Please note: This experience is great for travelers traveling with children!
Departure Point :Mexico City, Mexico
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Menu may vary depending on the season
- If any travelers in your party have any allergies, dietary restrictions or cooking preferences please advise at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Private, personalized experience
- Please note, this is not a commercial cooking class, rather this experience is a visit into a Mexico City home to meet a local who is an expert cook, and share Mexican culture and cuisine together.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.