Montecassino Abbey half - day from Rome with lunch
It is really a delight to visit the Abbey of Montecassino to admire its beautiful architectural splendor and remember its history. The site is a place full of memories where you can still breath the monastic atmosphere and the feeling of the battle that took place during the world war 2. Due to its significant location, this place has always been a target of military attacks throughout history, the most gruesome of all certainly being the Battle of Monte Cassino fought during the Second World War. At the end of your visit you can sample some of local food such as mozzarella, cheeses, porchetta and vegetables: all of that is part of the best Italian gastronomy.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Lunch - lunch includes: local porchetta, buffalo mozzarella, cheese, prosciutto, red or white wine, water, local cakes
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Abbazia di Montecassino, Via Montecassino, 03043, Cassino Italy
The Abbey of Montecassino is one of the most known Abbeys in the world. In 529 Saint Benedict chose this mountain to build a monastery that would host him and those monks following him on the way from Subiaco. Paganism was still present here, but he managed to turn the place into a well-structured Christian monastery where everybody could have the dignity they deserved through praying and working.
Ora et labora et lege: this is the motto of Saint Bendict's Rule that the monks still follow in their daily routine. Some of them study in the library surrounded by ancient books, or make researches in the archive on breathtaking manuscripts. Some others host people seeking for a moment of inner peace and serenity. And if you are visiting the Abbey you might meet some of them having a walk in the cloisters before they go back to their rooms to pray alone or to gather later for the common prayer. Every day thousands of pilgrims and visitors from all around the world come to this threshold. They silently go through the cloisters and then up the big ramp to the Basilica at Saint Benedict and Scholastica's grave. Then the Crypt is there beneath to be revealed with the astonishing golden mosaics. But it is in the museum where finally visitors can see the magnificent paintings, the wonderful manuscripts and ancient books. They can go through the history of the Abbey from the very beginning till today and grasp why Montecassino Abbey is known as the Lighthouse of Western Civilization.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Travellers will be picked up at their hotel in center Rome.For pick up outside Rome, (other villages, airport, etc), we charge for tranfser, according the distance from the city.
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- as long as the Covid-19 emergency persists, temperature checks for travelers are absolutely necessary in some tours and excursions that include museums, indoor places and busy areas.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.