Mount Eccles Volcano – Budj Bim National Park
Natural History Tour with a geologist and experienced local guide. This is a unique opportunity to see a well preserved lava shield volcano in the company of an authentic geologist, the Budj Bim (Mount Eccles) Volcano. With the option of also visiting a cluster of lava blisters (Tumuli), a very rare and exceptional landscape of this style. Or, if you prefer, we can return via a local winery.
This is not a tour of the Budj Bim Cultural Landscape that is located nearby on part of the same lava system. Those tours are operated by Budj Bim Tours.
You guide will explain the regional geological setting. He will teach you about geological time, with reference also to Aboriginal occupation of this region. You will see convincing examples of volcanic processes and learn about the the different styles of volcanic eruptions in the region.
per adult from
3 to 4 hours
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Budj Bim National Park, Mt Eccles Rd, MacArthur VIC 3286, Australia
“The Story of a volcano and it’s ancient people” You will visit the volcano that erupted 30,000 years ago. You will look into the crater-lake, nearby lava channels and remains of a lava tunnel. Travelling with Mike Raetz a local geologist who will interpret the volcanic landscape and explain how this connected with Aboriginal occupation.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Tumuli (Lava Blisters), Old Crusher Road 13 km West of Byaduk Caves, Macarthur, Victoria Australia
This is an optional stop on the way back. Part of the Mount Napier eruption in a wide valley fill lava flow. Numerous Tumuli form one of the most spectacular lava blister clusters you will see anywhere. It is on private land and walking on this rough rocky terrain requires great care.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :1: Port Fairy Visitor Centre, Port Fairy VIC 3284, Australia
2: Warrnambool Station, Merri St, Warrnambool VIC 3280, Australia
Departure Time :1:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.