Nature Reserve Horse Riding and Picnic
The Dervent Heights nature reserve is a unique habitat offering a mix of wild grassland plateaus and heavy tree covered hills and valleys. It's home to numerous protected and rare wildlife species including the Imperial Eagle, Saker Eagle and more. Although sightings of these are relatively rare, we do regularly see hare, deer, and numerous birds and insects.
The reserve is almost completely untouched by humans, and the only people you might meet are the pastoral shepherds and their vast belled herds of sheep and cows.
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Safety equipment
- Coffee and/or Tea - Tea and coffee served at the farm on arrival from excursion
What's excluded :
After being welcomed at the farm, you'll meet your horse for the day. You'll learn about his or hers likes and dislikes, and if you are a beginner, the basics of steering, stopping and enjoyable riding. We will then set off into the nature reserve on a beautiful 1 hour/1.5 hour trail ride to the mountain river. The location for your picnic, is the old village 'Drista' or rug washing site, a place where, in times past, the villagers came together to wash their house rugs, socialise and enjoy the forest. On arrival you will cross the river on horseback and help tether your horse to graze. You can then choose how you want to enjoy the pristine river and its banks. Why not try forest bathing on our heirloom Bulgarian blankets? Or take our nets and mini rods to see what you can find in the river? Maybe you just want to relax, and enjoy the sounds of nature?
Your picnic lunch is made from locally sourced produce and served in the well-maintained wooden hunters' gazebo on site. You will be able to stay at the location for two to three hours depending on how long you need to fully unwind and relax- then when its time to leave, you'll saddle-up and trek home via a different trail.
Departure Point :Konna Baza Sakar, 21 Macedonia street, 6565 Srem, Bulgaria
Traveler pickup is offered
We can pick up from either Topolovgrad or Elhovo town centres
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 10/24/2019 - 8/10/2022
Monday - Friday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.