Аncient Fortresses of Khorezm
The territory of ancient Khorezm is literally scattered with the ancient qalas ("Qala" means fortress) that remained of the border towns of the state of Khorezm, which were built to protect against nomadic raids. Most of them served their purpose successfully until the XIII century, before the capture of the country by hordes of Genghis Khan. The population of the country was mostly killed or enslaved, towns destroyed, economy ruined and the fortresses were abandoned. During the Soviet times, archeologists took the interest in fortresses, partially excavated and cleared them, the most valuable finds were taken to museums and the ruins were left alone again.
per adult from
What's included :
- All Fees and Taxes
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Ayaz-Kala
What's excluded :
- Guide service
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Ayaz-Kala, Ellikqala District of Karakalpakstan Uzbekistan
*Meet your guide and driver at your hotel in Khiva
*Trip to Kyzylkum Desert (150 km, 1,5-2 h)
*Visit Kyzyl-Kala (I-II century AD)
* Toprak-Kala -ancient settlement, capital of Khorezm in the III century AD.
* Visit one of the largest fortresses of Ancient Khorezm – Ayaz-Kala I, IV century BC
*Ayaz Kala II, VI-VII century AD
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Khiva, Uzbekistan
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.