Camel shoots and kills noted explorer John Ainsworth Horrocks
The Nomads Tour is for the Inquisitive and Curious traveller.
Ideal for those looking for an insight into the Clare region beyond the food and wine.
A tour with a blend of History and Heritage including a Winery lunch and a glass of wine..
Clare Valley heritage is English, Irish and Polish. Settlers came from the other side of the world to make a home in Clare and shape the landscape of Clare Valley. Join me to find out how Harry the Camel shot Horrocks
We don't do ordinary, we like to be extraordinary.
Clare Valley Tours is an Accredited Tour Operator
and Covid Safe Practising Business
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Lunch - Single course lunch with a glass of wine and afternoon tea included
- Entry/Admission - Sevenhill Cellars
- Entry/Admission - John Horrocks Trail
- Entry/Admission - Reillys Wines Vineyard Walk
- Entry/Admission - Martindale Hall Historic Museum
- Entry/Admission - Spring Gully Scenic Drive 18
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sevenhill Cellars, 111C College Road, Clare, South Australia 5453 Australia
A thought-provoking tour for those interested in the early history of the Clare Valley. You’ll hear detailed, fully-narrated stories of the Valley and its early pioneers
Sevenhill Cellars is a revered site of sacramental wine and spiritual character that was built by the society of Jesuits in 1851. Hear their stories, inspect their 160-year-old vines and, of course, we’ll have a taste of their world-famous wines, including an immersive tour of the church crypt, grounds and museum.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: John Horrocks Trail, Penwortham, Clare, South Australia Australia
Visiting the grave of Clare’s first settler John Horrocks, and the landmark tree under which he first camped and hear the story of Harry the Camel who was responsible for the demise of Horrocks
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Reillys Wines Vineyard Walk, Hill St, Mintaro, South Australia 5415 Australia
Leaving Sevenhill we’ll travel on scenic back roads with access to private property, through vineyards and farmland. Stunning views of Polish Hill River and beyond. There’s no shortage of unique photo opportunities.
We travel into the historic township of Mintaro. Settled and established around 1847 as an overnight stop for Ox Drays carting the rich ore of the Burra Mines to Port Wakefield, the heritage listed town is known for its world class slate. It’s also home to the first Jesuit church built in Australia.
You will have lunch at Reillys Cellar Door Restaurant.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Martindale Hall Historic Museum, 1 Manoora Rd, Mintaro, South Australia 5415 Australia
Refreshed from a winery lunch we meander out of town to the jewel in the Mid North of South Australia, Martindale Hall. A journey back in time reliving the lifestyles of wealthy pastoralists. A fully guided tour of this Georgian-style mansion built in 1879 by country squire Edward Bowman. He surrounded his home with a polo ground, a cricket pitch, a racecourse and a boating lake, entertaining South Australian society. Bowman, fallen victim to droughts and debt sold the property to William Mortlock in 1891. Martindale was a wedding present for his wife, Rosie.
Martindale Hall was featured in the classic Australian film, Picnic at Hanging Rock.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Spring Gully Scenic Drive 18, Auburn, South Australia Australia
We then travel the backroads from Mintaro to the picturesque Skillogalee Valley, passing sprawling Hughes Park on our way to the Skillogalee Restaurant for afternoon tea.
A perfect way to finish a great day out.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :8 Spring Gully Rd, Clare SA 5453, Australia
Traveler pickup is offered
Additional pick up outside of Clare locality is available. Additional fees apply contact Clare Valley Tours for details
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Clare Valley Tours is a Quality Tourism Accredited Business with an Accreditation as a Covid Clean Practising Business. We have the current South Australian Government Covid Safe Plan in-force as well as having completing the South Australian Tourism Commision Covid Safe practices course.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Mr Willson Pty Ltd TAS Clare Valley Tours