Old Jewish Quarters Walking Tour
Get to know the medieval Golden Age and rough times of the People of the Book by walking along the old alleys and streets of Porto, and knowing the true Dark Ages where the Sephardi Jews lived.
Following a chronological line, the lifetime of the Jews in the Iberian Peninsula was made of ups and downs, this 3 hours walking tour encompasses their story, life and ancient remnants in Porto. Start your tour at the Cathedral’s old quarter and visit the street where one of the synagogues was located. Afterwards, move to the Miragaia quarter and notice that the people of the Great Diaspora tried to adapt to the Christians’ lifestyle by working alongside with them, with a huge proximity to the river Douro. Then, the Olive Field quarter was one of the ultimate Jewish urban phenomenon, with a few traces from the past and the chance to admire the memorial tablet referring about the 1496 Expelling Order by the king Manuel I.
per adult from
2 to 3 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- A walking tour with an experienced History tour guide.
- Entry/Admission - Porto Cathedral (Se Catedral)
- Entry/Admission - Miradouro da Vitoria
- Entry/Admission - Jardim Municipal do Horto das Virtudes
- Entry/Admission - Ribeira Square
What's excluded :
- Synagogue visit not included.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Porto Cathedral (Se Catedral), Terreiro da Se, S/N0 Centro Histórico, Porto 4050-573 Portugal
We shall start our experience in one of the oldest quarters of Porto. The first presence of Jews in Porto go back to the Phoenician travels, following the Medieval times in Portugal. In this area, we'll witness the old alleys where the Jews lived during Porto's Dark Ages.
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Miradouro da Vitoria, Rua Sao Bento da Vitoria 11, Porto 4050-543 Portugal
The heart of Judaism in Porto is located here. In fact, the Olive Field Quarter as a well-preserved ghetto, a city inside the city centre and Jews experienced a Golden Age just before the 1496 Law. We still have urbanism remnants located in this old quarter.
Duration: 50 minutes
Stop At: Jardim Municipal do Horto das Virtudes, Rua Azevedo de Albuquerque, Porto 4050-076 Portugal
Legend says the Garden of Virtudes once served as a burial ground for the Jews. We'll admire this green landscape, facing the Douro River.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Ribeira Square, Praca Ribeira 1, Porto 4050-513 Portugal
The heart of tourism, cultural and social life of the city. Even in this old area, the Jews settled their own private business as tailors, merchants, doctors and goldsmiths.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Porto Cathedral, Terreiro da Sé, 4050-573 Porto, Portugal
Traveler pickup is offered
The meeting point is in front of the Cathedral. However, if it's a private tour the meeting point can be in hotel's lobby.
Return Detail :Ribeira Square, Praça Ribeira, Porto, Portugal
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.