On top of the Balkans - Snowshoeing to Peak Musala (2925m)
Climb the highest peak in Bulgaria and on the Balkan Peninsula – Mount Musala! (2925m)
An exciting and challenging goal in winter time. The adventure is suitable for people in very good physical condition who have previous hiking / snowshoeing experience.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional Guiding
- Hiking Poles
- Lift Pass
What's excluded :
- Transport (upon request)
- Please note: There is a public transport option (15EUR/person) and car hire option (30EUR/person)
- ~ Itinerary ~
~ Day 1 ~
We start from Borovets ski resort (1350 m, 1.15 hours drive from Sofia). After a trip with the gondola lift up to about 2400 m, we trek for a couple of hours and reach Ledenoto Ezero (The Icy Lake) Chalet at 2700 m. This is where we stay for the night. If the chalet is closed, as it happens occasionally in winter, we’ll stay in Musala Hut.
~ Day 2 ~
Early morning ascent to Musala (2925 m.) and descend to Borovets (possible to use the gondola or return by foot). Drive back to Sofia.
~ What to bring ~
• Local Insurance (included)
• Pocket money
• Hiking boots – waterproof and warm, above the ankle, stiff sole, compatible with your crampons;
• Crampons compatible to your boots (included)
• Water and windproof jacket with a hood
• Water and windproof trousers
• Warm hat, thin pair of gloves and a pair of warm mittens
• Thermal underwear, light down jacket or a warm fleece
• Sun protection – sun cream, sun glasses, sun hat;
• Snowshoes and trekking poles (included)
• Water bottle or, preferably, flask – 1/1,5l
• Snacks, lunch pack;
• Travel linen for the night in the hut.
Although Musala is accessible without any special equipment (crampons and ice axe) in certain winter conditions we may need them for the last part of the ascent (there is a fixed railing there, but in rare occasions it’s covered by snow).
Departure Point :Sofia
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Sofia
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.