Oxford Castle and Prison Guided Tour
Explore the 1,000-year history of Oxford Castle and Prison. Step back in time with our costumed guided tours and see fascinating stories come to life. Hear the great tales of Empress Matilda, the fate of Mary Blandy and step inside our padded jail cell.
Find gorgeous views atop of St. Georges' Tower and then descend into the atmospheric crypt of St. Georges’ Chapel. Here you can touch the stones where Oxford University was rumoured to begin and stand in the birthplace of Geofrey of Monmouths’ King Arthur. Wander the austere confines of the prisons’ D-Wing and learn about our youngest inmates.
After your guided tour, you can explore the prison cells at your own leisure and dress up like a prisoner in our exhibition space. Head outside and climb the mound, the remains of our motte and bailey castle.
per adult from
What's included :
- Guided Tour
- Costumed Character Guide
- Guidebook (if option selected)
- Entry/Admission - Oxford Castle & Prison
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Oxford Castle & Prison, 46 Oxford Castle New Road Oxford Castle Quarter, Oxford OX1 1AY England
Take a guided tour today and let the characters reveal their fascinating stories entrenched in the building’s 1,000 year history. When William the Conqueror invaded England and won the Battle of Hastings in 1066, Oxford Castle was marked by the Normans as the ideal place for a motte-and-bailey castle. Today, after almost one millennia, Oxford Castle & Prison is a visitor attraction with a past stretching far beyond your imagination.
Guided tours last approx. an hour and run every 20 minutes and are led by one of the castle's costumed character guides. The rich history of Oxford and the castle is revealed as you climb the Saxon St George’s Tower, one of the oldest buildings in Oxford, and enjoy its stunning 360° panoramic views over the historic city of Oxford.
Then, descend deep underground into the dark atmosphere of the 900 year old crypt, the only surviving remains of St. George’s Chapel where it is said, began the education for which Oxford is famed, and where Geoffrey of Monmouth penned the Legends of King Arthur. Explore the austere confines of the 18th century Debtors’ Tower and Prison D-Wing and scale the Mound of the 11th century motte-and-bailey castle.
After your tour, you will be inducted into the castle’s prison and wider site where you will be able to explore at your own leisure. Admission to the castle is by guided tour only.
Departure Point :Oxford Castle, Oxford OX1 1BY, UK
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children under 5 years of age will not be permitted access to St George’s Tower due to health and safety regulations.
- Visitors unable to climb the tower may wait at the bottom with a guardian and watch our “Story of Oxford Castle” video. Once the tour group returns from the Tower, you are then able to rejoin your group as the tour continues. To find out more about this policy, click here to view our access information.
- Due to the historical nature of the building Prams & Pushchairs do not fit through our doors, so they need to be left in the reception area where they will be looked after from a member of our team.
- Payment must be made at the time of booking by credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard, Switch or Delta).
- No dogs are allowed in the attraction, the mound, Castleyard Cafe or the gift shop except for guide dogs.
- Opening times may be subject to change; for up-to-date information on admission prices and opening times, please telephone our information line on +44(0)1865 260666
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- - Card Payments only. - We encourage our guests to wear face masks and gloves if possible, or where practical.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.