Paddle with the Platypus Twilight Kayak Adventure
Why not swap the steering wheel for a paddle for a few hours and jump on board Tassie Bound’s multi award-winning kayak adventure?
Explore a little deeper below the surface of the Derwent Valley’s idyllic countryside and you might find yourself catching a glimpse of our not so shy but still very wild local resident; the platypus.
Here on the edge of Tasmania’s Western Wilds is a stretch of protected river environment where; if we travel quietly and respectfully, we have an exceptionally good chance of spotting platypus in their natural habitat.
A perfect accessible adventure suitable for first-time paddlers, adventurers, families and platypus enthusiasts looking for a VIP backstage pass to the Derwent Valley region. No prior kayak experience is necessary to participate and suitable for children 5 & up. Basic swimming skills is a prerequisite. Tandem kayaks can be provided on request.
Tour pick up location is within a 1 hour drive from Hobart's city centre.
per adult from
What's included :
- All kayak and safety equipment
- Local guides
- Transfers from pick up location at Bushy Park.
- Complimentary photos
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Upper Kangaroo River, Upper Kangaroo River, Shoalhaven, New South Wales
The Paddle with the Platypus adventure offers an opportunity to slow down and spot platypus in their natural habitat and a chance to learn about their very secretive lives.
The Paddle with the Platypus tour operates every evening from September to May with additional morning paddles departing November to March. Guests are fully-guided, assisted by gentle river currents passing through local hop fields and farmlands. Pause en route to enjoy a locally prepared tasting platter showcasing award-wining and often hand-picked fresh produce in the evenings or a freshly baked morning tea. Platypus are notoriously known for their shy and elusive personalities, making them difficult to spot in the wild. Operating on the river for over seven seasons, Tassie Bound Adventure Tours, know a stretch of river, only accessible by kayak, where platypus are very active through the warmer months of the year.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Gretna War Memorial Oval, 3457 Lyell Hwy, Gretna TAS 7140, Australia
Departure Time :5:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- No prior kayaking experience required.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.