Paris 1920 : Lost Generation Writers of the Left Bank
There is a famous saying : “Everyone has 2 countries, their own & France”.
This was especially true for numerous artists, writers & jazz musicians between the 2 world wars, many of whom flocked to Paris not only for artistic inspiration but also to find themselves.
Known as the Lost Generation, these were men & women who had suffered through WW1, a war that had taken 40m lives. They were all between 20 and 30 years old & questioned the old regime as morally bankrupt – seeking to build a new system.
Eager to share ideas they would gather in the numerous cafés of the Left Bank. Many of these struggling artists & writers stayed in the area’s cheap hotels or cold-water flats.
We will visit the places where these people lived, worked & partied, bearing in mind that the bohemian Left Bank of starving artists & struggling writers has given way to chic boutiques & high end bistros. Along the way we might stop for a tasting of artisanal chocolate mousse "to go"! (cost not included)
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- A tablet is used by the guide to present photo & video documentation, and for reading excerpts of works from each author
What's excluded :
- Transportation to & from meeting point
- Food & beverage not included
- Cost of tasting not included
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Boulevard St. Germain, Paris France
We start off by seeing the famous cafés that were popular with the Lost Generation writers - Les Deux Magots, Le Café de Flore & the Brasserie Lipp where Hemingway would go for cheap eats
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Odeon, Odeon, Paris, Ile-de-France
We visit the original location of the famed bookstore Shakespeare & Company, a 2nd home to so many of the Lost Generation writers - Hemingway, Pound, Stein & most especially Joyce.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Luxembourg Gardens, Rue de Medicis Rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris France
Visit the homes of the Lost Generation authors around the Luxembourg gardens : Man Ray, Hemingway, the Fitzgeralds, Gertrude Stein & Ezra Pound
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Place du Pantheon, 75005 Paris France
Just opposite the Luxembourg Gardens, we proceed to the Pantheon of Paris - where TS Eliot's flat was located when he lived in Paris as a student
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Mouffetard Market, 139 rue Mouffetard, 75005 Paris France
We end the tour in the Mouffetard district of the Latin Quarter - where we visit the homes of James Joyce, Ernest Hemingway and (time allowing) George Orwell.
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :1 Place Saint-Germain des Prés, 75006 Paris, France
Return Detail :Place Monge, 75005 Paris, France
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Please note that I have been vaccinated but will wear a mask nevertheless
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.