Path to Freedom Private Tour: District Six, Gugulethu with Robben Island Add-on
Follow in the footsteps of freedom with this half-day private tour to learn about the painful past of the Rainbow Nation's journey towards Ubuntu - a Zulu term meaning ‘humanity toward others'. South Africa’s Walk to Freedom didn’t start with Mandela’s first steps out of prison after his release, but with the courage and conviction of all who fought against the racial inequality of the once Apartheid State. Inspiringly, modern-day Cape Town refuses to be defined by the wrongs of the past.
Journey back to the time where individuals were classified purely by the colour of their skin on a District Six Museum tour with a former resident to relive memories that epitomise the brutality of apartheid. Travel to Gugulethu township, not to sight-see but mingle with locals, exchange cultural values and learn about the struggle. Visit V&A Waterfront and continue the journey with an optional Robben Island Tour add-on to celebrate Mandela’s dream of an Africa at peace with itself.
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private tour
- Local English-speaking professional tour guide
- Hotel pickup
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Gugulethu Township walking tour
- District Six museum tour
- Glass bottled water
- Entry/Admission - District Six Museum
- Entry/Admission - Gugulethu 7 Memorial
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Robben Island tour
- Entry/Admission - Robben Island Museum
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: District Six Museum, 25A Buitenkant Street, Cape Town Central 8001 South Africa
Journey into the dark past of apartheid on this private half-day tour. Begin your day with a pickup from your Cape Town accommodation, and then head to the District Six Museum to listen to ex-residents' tales of enforced removals, when homes were levelled to make way for "whites-only" suburbs. Back in apartheid times, Table Mountain provided a natural border between black and white settlements, and although there is no physical border today, the harsh reality of previously disadvantaged communities still shows.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Gugulethu 7 Memorial, Ny 121, Guguletu, Cape Town, 7750, South Africa
After a short drive to the Cape Flats, you’ll visit the township of Gugulethu for a glimpse into these infamous “dump grounds for non-whites.” In contrast to the city’s wide streets and white-washed historic buildings, this area is composed of backstreets crammed with corrugated-roofed, shanty-style accommodation and colourful clotheslines. Navigate the streets with a local guide, walking past small taverns called shebeens, a convenience store, a health clinic, and an inspiring community garden project. Although today you're likely to hear music playing and see people gathering together, this township has also endured its fair share of bloodshed in the name of freedom. Visit the Amy Biehl Memorial and the Gugulethu 7 Monument to see just how violent the struggle was.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, 19 Dock Road, Cape Town Central 8001 South Africa
Visit Cape Town’s working waterfront to meander through fascinating historical sights and tourist attractions of the V&A Waterfront during your free time.
End this journey of reflection with a journey back to Cape Town and a better understanding of the struggle toward a united South Africa. Your guide will now say farewell if you booked the additional add-on ferry ride and tour to Robben Island (own booking and own expense) or if not, you can be dropped off at your Cape Town accommodation.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Robben Island Museum, Cape Town Central 7400 South Africa
Subject to weather conditions, board the optional Robben Island ferry for a scenic cruise across the bay and a glimpse into the life of political prisoners in the most austere of South African prisons. World Heritage-listed Robben Island is striking in its very isolation. It was used as a prison for rebel sailors and much later for political prisoners, the last of whom was released in 1991. Today, this site employs former inmates, who weave poignant tales of their time behind bars and of hard labour in the prison’s limestone quarry. They bear no grudges thanks to inspirational leaders, like Nelson Mandela, who taught them about reconciliation and the spirit of Ubuntu. Indeed a unique symbol to celebrate the triumph of the human spirit over adversity and injustice. This excursion includes a return ferry to the island and a bus tour of the island and prison. The ferry ride back to the mainland is generally a subdued affair and the view of Table Mountain welcomes you back.
End this day of reflection, having a better understanding of the struggle for a united South Africa. It can be hard to come face-to-face with an unjust past, but it’s essential to grasp this journey in order to understand the South Africa of today.
*This itinerary can run in a different order to match with available timeslots of the Robben Island tour. Please book the Robben Island tickets in advance directly on their website to avoid disappointment.
Your guide can drop you at your hotel if you decide not to book the optional Robben Island tour after the half-day trip. Alternatively, your tour ends at the V&A waterfront.
Duration: 3 hours
Pass By: Africa Select Journeys, 13a Gardner Williams Ave Paardevlei, Cape Town Central 7710 South Africa
- This private tour with transport and guide that will run exclusively run for you. The itinerary is flexible and can be tailored to spend more time at the tour’s highlights that interest you the most or swop for alternative options.
- Do contact us during of after the booking process to let us know if you would prefer any changes to the tour and we can suggest an updated itinerary and cost estimate if there are any additional charges.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
The tour ends at V&A Waterfront if you book the optional Robben Island Tour at extra cost. Alternatively, you can be dropped off at your accommodation after the half-day tour section.We can pick-up from any hotel, guesthouse, backpackers or street address within 10km radius of Cape Town or Stellenbosch central. If your hotel is not listed, simply select "my hotel is not listed" on the drop-down menu and type your preferred pick-up address.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The Robben Island add-on optional excursion is subject to weather conditions and subject to availability. Please book the Robben Island Tour add-on section directly to avoid disappointment.
- The itinerary of this tour may run in reverse or different order.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- This is a private tour with a flexible itinerary, feel free to contact in advance to ensure you visit the highlights that interest you the most.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Most travelers can participate
- ***During the COVID19 pandemic, Robben Island Museum will only operate on selected days with limited availability. Tour capacity and frequency will be gradually increased based on the domestic demand and reopening of international travel. Check availability online to confirm your spot.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- This tour will adhere to the TOURISM INDUSTRY STANDARD COVID-19 SAFE PROTOCOLS during the time of the pandemic as prescribed by TBCSA aligned with the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines. The protocols will be updated on an on-going basis in line with pandemic status in South Africa.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.