Pele's Creation Day Tour from Hilo - Puna 2018 Lava Flow (Hawaii)
The 2018 eruption wreaked havoc upon the subdivision of Leilani Estates. While there is currently no active surface lava on the island, the destruction is still evident here. You will hear first-hand accounts from real homeowners and see Fissure 8, the largest fissure from the eruption. We have exclusive access to visit 4 different properties destroyed in the eruption. A portion of our sales goes to those who tragically lost their homes.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Star of the Sea Painted Church, Pahoa Kalapana Road, Kalapana, Island of Hawaii, HI
Drive through the area that lava went through in 2018 to the Star of the Sea Painted church. Learn about the fascinating history of this little community and the importance of the church within it. Find out how residents saved the church in 1990 from advancing lava.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Kalapana Farmers Market, south end of the Red Road, near the new Kaimu black sand beach, Island of Hawaii, HI
Enjoy a look around and listen to stories about the destruction of Kalapana Village.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Pohoiki Black Sand Beach, Kalapana Kapoho Beach Rd, Pāhoa, HI 96778, USA
Drive over Kings Highway and past the 2018 lava flows and Fissure 8. This area is part of the 'longest-running' lava flowing continuously since 1983. In 2018 almost 17,000 gallons of a'a (fast running) lava was released every second. Finishing the tour at Pohoiki, the newest beach in the world. Pele created this beautiful beach in two months.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Leilani Estates, HI 96778, USA
You can see fissure 8 at a distance and get up close to the powerful lava flow that destroyed homes and disrupted an entire community for 3 months. Ultimately there were 24 fissures, and at one point, Fissure 8 had 26,000 gallons of lava coming out of it every second.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Coconut Island, Off-shoot from Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
Learn about the Island of Healing and, Maui, Hawaiian Superman.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Liliuokalani Gardens, Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720-4680
Walk the beautiful serene Japanese Gardens and learn about Hawaii's last Queen.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Banyan Drive, Island of Hawaii, HI
Drive past many of the trees planted by famous actors, athletes, and political authorities of the past.
Departure Point :Prince Kuhio Plaza - P-3, 11-27 Ohuohu St, Hilo, HI 96720, USA
Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up at any hotel in Hilo or at the Port. This is a great cruise ship day excursion.Ports
- Hilo Port
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 28 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.