Perth to Adelaide - The Great Australian Wilderness Tour
This 10 day, 4,000km journey across the Southern coastline of Australia will leave you breathless, fascinated and connected with nature in a way you could not have imagined. Taste your way around the Margaret River wine region. Walk through the ancient forests of the South West of Western Australia. Meet the kangaroos of Lucky Bay in Esperance and experience the vastness of this great land as you travel across the mighty Nullarbor. Stand on the ‘Edge of Australia’ at the Head of Bight and be wowed by the mouth-watering seafood of the Eyre Peninsula.
Nature lovers will be thrilled by wildlife encounters such as swimming with wild sea lions and dolphins or coming face to face with a great white shark. And at the end of each day, sit back and relax over a tantalising local produce meal and matching wine. Travelling in a 7-seater executive four-wheel drive, your expert guide will get off the beaten track to experience the real Australia.
- Engage with Indigenous Culture at Koomal Dreaming
- Taste your way around the Margaret River wine and produce region
- Walk among the ancient forests of Valley of the Giants
- Explore Cape Le Grand National Park – a national treasure
- Experience the jaw-dropping scenery of the Great Australian Bight
- Take a unique Stargazing Tour whilst staying at an outback wilderness retreat
- Feast on the world’s most delectable, Coffin Bay Oysters
- Swim with playful sea lions and magical bottlenose dolphins (OE)
- Relax on an Electric Boat Cruise around Port Lincoln Marina
- Dine in premium restaurants tasting world-class local produce and wine
- See a majestic Great White Shark in its own environment (OE)
10 days, 9 nights
- Accommodation – 9 nights
- Flight – Port Lincoln to Adelaide
- All Meals
- All activities, national park fees and GST
- Airport transfer in Adelaide
- Transport – executive 4WD
- Local guide and expert knowledge
- Flights are operated by Rex and depart Port Lincoln in the evening depending if you do shark cage diving or stay on dry land.
- Rex has a 15kg luggage restriction per person plus one 7kg carry on however, upon presenting a valid itinerary or ticket, passengers with international connections are permitted 20kg. For more details on Rex Baggage Allowance please visit their website.
- It is highly recommended that you pre-book the optional activities at time of booking as they are very popular and can’t be booked on the day. We can reserve your place upon booking and you pay the operator locally.
- Any Optional Extra Experiences are outsourced and therefore the terms and conditions of each operators apply
- Please ensure you book your Adelaide accommodation prior to departure and advise the guide where you would like to be dropped off.
- Dietary requirements can be catered for but must be advised at time of booking
- Our tours require a minimum of two people to operate and in the unlikely event we only have one person confirmed we have some other options available. Firstly, a Single Supplement fee is offered to run the tour with only one person. Secondly, we reserve the right to cancel the tour and arrange an alternative operator (if possible). If the alternative is not suitable we will refund your tour price in full. Please read our full Booking Terms & Conditions prior to booking your tour
- Sea Lions don’t run from June to August so there is an alternative itinerary for this day during these months
- Day 1 : Perth to Margaret RiverYour expert guide will meet you nice and early and over a coffee talk about the exciting journey ahead. Two and a half hours south of Perth we’ll make our first stop at the popular holiday town of Busselton. Here you will walk along the world’s second longest jetty, stretching 1.8km into the turquoise waters of Geographe Bay. After lunch at a magical beach, you’ll enjoy one of the best Indigenous cultural experiences in Australia at Koomal Dreaming. Meet local custodian Josh and journey deep into Ngilgi Cave where you’ll be mesmerised by a live didgeridoo performance, storytelling and traditional fire-making. From Dunsborough we’ll head down the coast stopping at Yallingup to check out a couple of famous surf breaks. On our way into Margaret River we’ll pop into a winery for your first taste of the region. By late afternoon you’ll be settling into your accommodation at the Margaret River Beach Resort and that evening, enjoying a delicious meal at The Common Restaurant. Today we travel around 350km.Meals :Lunch, DinnerDay 2 : Margaret RiverAfter breakfast at a favourite local café overlooking the Indian Ocean, we’ll have some time to explore the quaint township of Margaret River and its eclectic craft and produce stores. The rest of the day your taste buds will be in heaven as we taste our way around the region. Visit cellar doors, a chocolate factory, cheese factory and boutique brewery. But the highlight today will be a memorable lunch at the world-renowned Vasse Felix, Margaret River's founding wine estate. Spend the night back in Margaret River feeling satisfied from all of the delicious produce and wine! Today we travel within the Margaret River region travelling just 80km.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 3 : Walpole, Denmark & AlbanyThe first stop today is at the Diamond Tree, one of three fire lookout trees in the world. Ascend the 51 metres to the top if you are feeling brave. Onwards to the Valley of the Giants in the Walpole Wilderness National Park. Here you will walk among ancient tingle forests on the Ancient Empire and Treetop Canopy walks. Nature lovers are in for a treat today! It’s up bright and early with our first stop at the Diamond Tree, one of three fire lookout trees in the world. You can ascend the 51 metres to the top if you are feeling brave. Onwards to the Valley of the Giants in the Walpole Wilderness National Park. Here we’ll walk among ancient tingle forests on the Ancient Empire and Treetop Canopy walks. After a picnic lunch of local produce, we’ll venture on towards William Bay National Park to see the paradise that is Greens Pool and Elephant Rocks. If the weather is warm it’s the perfect place for a dip. We’ll stop in at Denmark, a gorgeous town nestled on the banks of the Denmark River for a coffee, before making our way along a dreamy coastal drive towards Albany. Explore Torndirrup National Park and its highlights - The Gap and Natural Bridge. In the late afternoon we’ll arrive in Albany and check into our self-contained apartment. Enjoy a meal at a local restaurant overlooking the ocean. Today we’ll travel around 350km.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 4 : Albany to EsperanceAfter your continental breakfast, we’ll discover the township of Albany and its interesting history. Take in stunning views of the bay from the Mt. Clarence Lookout and visit the National Anzac Centre. We’ll travel into the oldest mountain range in the world – the unique Porongurup’s and take a walk to Castel Rock for jaw dropping views over the region. Travel through the beautiful Stirling Ranges towards Esperance and if you are lucky enough to be travelling during wildflower season it will look even more picture perfect. Stop at the mind-blowingly beautiful Twilight Cove for your first taste of the squeaky white beaches and crystal blue waters of the ‘Golden Outback’. We’ll check into our Esperance accommodation at the Bay of Isles Motel and enjoy an evening meal overlooking a turquoise ocean. Today we’ll travel 480km.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 5 : Cape Le Grand National ParkWords cannot describe the absolute beauty you are going to experience today. Located approximately 50km east of Esperance, Cape Le Grand is one of Western Australia’s most spectacular National Parks. It features blindingly white sandy beaches with sand so fine it squeaks between your toes. Wildlife is in abundance including the iconic sunbathing kangaroos at Lucky Bay who are always up for a photo opportunity. Swim, bushwalk and reconnect with nature today. Stay back in Esperance tonight and enjoy dining at a local restaurant. Just 80km to travel today.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 6 : The NullarborIt’s up before the bird’s chirp because today we’ll be putting our clocks forward 1.5 hours and have a lot of land to cover as we begin our journey across the Nullarbor Plain. We’ll go off-road, four-wheel driving along the Balladonia Track to see some unique historical highlights. Stretch the legs at the original Eucla Telegraph Station before crossing the border into South Australia. Today you’ll have the opportunity to play a hole on the longest golf course in the world, the Nullarbor Links. Even by Australian standards we cover a lot of distance today travelling 920km. Tonight we’ll stay in an Outback Roadhouse Motel in Border Village.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 7 : The Nullarbor & Great Australian BightThis morning we’ll continue our journey along the Nullarbor stopping in at the unique Koonalda Homestead in the Nullarbor National Park. Originally a fuel and rest stop for people travelling along the Nullarbor in the 1950s, it was abandoned in the 1970s and is now a special piece of Australiana history and a photographers dream. Then get ready to be blown away by the epic scenery of the Head of Bight - the longest continuous cliff coastline in the Southern Hemisphere. It is our favourite place in Australia and one that leaves passengers speechless every time. If you are travelling between the months of June to October you’ll see magnificent Southern Right Whales and their young taking shelter in the Great Australian Bight Marine Park. You’ll also have the option during these months to take to the skies on a scenic flight to get another perspective of this incredible region. Enjoy an Indigenous cultural experience at the Ceduna Aboriginal Culture and Arts Centre before settling in to your 5 Star Spa Villa right on the beach in Ceduna. Relax with some of the regions finest wine and a heavenly platter packed with the region’s best local produce from the land to the sea. Today we travel 480km.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 8 : Baird Bay & Coodlie ParkThis morning we’ll make our way to Baird Bay where you’ll have Optional Experience and once in a lifetime opportunity to swim with Australian sea lions and dolphins on a 3-hour cruise. In calm waters, the puppy dogs of the sea will splash, twist and twirl all around you and the magical dolphins won’t disappoint either. Take an inspiring coastal walk around Venus Bay before joining the Xplore Eyre owners at their home - Coodlie Park Farm Retreat. Here you will sample fresh oysters, local wines and if you are up for it, head out on a Nocturnal Wildlife & Stargazing Tour. This gives you a chance to experience the millions of stars of the southern skies and see native wildlife at its most active. Today we’ll travel 170km and tonight you’ll sleep in a fully self-contained cottage at our property, Coodlie Park Farm Retreat.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 9 : Coffin Bay & Port LincolnAfter breakfast we’ll mosey down the coast to the seaside town of Coffin Bay for the Coffin Bay Oyster Farm Tour, the only one of its kind in Australia. Put on some waders and sit down to feast on the world-renowned Coffin Bay oysters, plucked straight out of the ocean. Lunch will follow with a wonderful seafood platter at the 1802 Oyster Bar & Restaurant. Explore some stunning coastline at Sleaford Bay and Whalers Way, before visiting Mikkira Station, home of a wild koala population where you will get some great photos. Pop into the Eyre Peninsula’s very own boutique brewery - Beer Garden Brewing, to taste their sustainably brewed beer. Then check into our accommodation for the last night at the Port Lincoln Hotel. Today we travel 300km and dine at an award-winning seafood restaurant for dinner.Meals :Breakfast, LunchDay 10 : Port Lincoln to AdelaideYou’ll start the day exploring the beautiful Lincoln National Park. Enjoy morning tea at Stamford Hill after an invigorating climb and visit Cape Donnington and the pristine beaches and lookouts on offer. We’ll head back to Port Lincoln for lunch at the iconic Fresh Fish Place. Next, board the ‘Tesla’, a unique electric canal cruiser. Enjoy a tranquil cruise around Port Lincoln’s Marina and learn about Australia’s largest commercial fishing fleet. Visit Boston Bay Wines for tastings and Glen Forest Tourist Park for up close and personal wildlife encounters. As your 10 day journey comes to an end, you’ll enjoy one last taste of the Eyre Peninsula at the Port Lincoln Marina before your guide drops you off at the Port Lincoln Airport for your 45-minute flight to Adelaide. Day 10 Alternative Itinerary - Great White Experiences (Optional Extra) Alternatively, those who love aquatic wildlife, and/or are seeking an adrenalin rush, can choose the full day optional experience of coming face-to-face with the majestic, Great White Shark. There are two operators offering different types of experiences: From staying dry in a revolutionary glass viewing aqua sub, to the more extreme option of entering the cage. Prices range from $350 to $564 depending on your choice. Please see ‘Optional Extras’ for more information.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Departs Perth once a month all year round at 7am
Can cater to private tours on request
PIck up by prior arragnement at Perth CBD accommodation (must reconfirm 48 hours prior)
While everything on our tours is included in the price, there are two optional extra experiences on this tour that we leave up to you to decide if you would like to do. These are very popular activities, so we highly recommend securing your place at time of booking. You can add these to your cart when booking.
Please keep in mind; These tours are operated by third parties and separate to Xplore Eyre. Therefore, the terms and conditions of each of these companies apply. Weather can play an important part in the operations of these tours and occasionally a tour may be cancelled which is beyond our control. If that is the case, you will be provided a full refund.
Swim with sea lions and dolphins ($180pp)
(Available September to May)
This is an amazing experience and highlight of the tour. The interaction that you will have with the sea lions and dolphins at the beautiful and sheltered Baird Bay on the Eyre Peninsula will leave you breathless. Board the 14-seater boat for a short ride to our first stop, where you’ll swim with sea lions. This takes place in approximately two metres of water. It is a natural experience and the sea lions come into the sheltered lagoon to interact with us.
After this, head further out into the bay to swim with the majestic bottlenose dolphins. This happens in four metres of water but is still within the sheltered bay. The tour is 3-4 hours and a wetsuit and snorkel equipment are included.
Head of Bight Marine Park Scenic Flight - $275pp
(Available July to September during Whale Watching season)
Get a whole new perspective of this incredible landscape taking a 45-minute scenic flight over the Head of the Great Australian Bight while you spot many Southern Right Whales and their young playing in the waters below.
Great White Shark Experiences in Port Lincoln
Adventure Bay Charters - From $389pp - $564pp
This is Australia’s first Advanced Eco-certified White Shark Tour. Sustainable and responsible, Adventure Bay Charters use rock music to attract the sharks, which also makes for a great vibe on the boat for your tour. They also have the only Aqua Sub, dry glass viewing platform with 360-degree views of the Great Whites in their natural habitat. This allows you to come face to face with the sharks and the cage divers whilst staying dry! If you are feeling brave you can upgrade on the day to have the ultimate thrill of plunging into the Southern Ocean with the sharks, from within the safety of the cage.
This full day tour to the Neptune Islands departs at 6.30am and returns at 6.30pm. It includes all equipment, breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. You also receive a selection of free images which they will email to you within a couple of days.
- Full Day Tour/Aqua Sub Access - $350pp (at time of booking)
- Cage Dive - $175pp (paid on board)
- $39 ‘Department of Environment Fee’ is payable on the day regardless of which option you choose (payed at reception)
If you opt to enter the cage but do not see any Great White Sharks you will not pay the $150 Cage Entry fee, just the $350 + $39.
Calypso Star Charters Shark Cage Diving - $532pp
Calypso Star Charters was established in 1990 and have a proud history of providing safe and exciting Advanced Eco Certified Shark Cage Diving. They are the only one-day Shark Cage Diving South Australian tour operator who is permitted to use natural fish burley (chum) to attract the sharks. This sustainable practice provides passengers with the best possible chance of sighting and interaction close to the vessel and cage, which will enhance your incredible experience!
The full day charter boards at 6.30am and it takes about 2.5 hours to get out to the Neptune Islands. No diver experience is required. All food and equipment is supplied and MV Calypso Star 2 is the only Shark Cage Diving vessel fitted with a Gyroscopic Stabiliser, increasing guests’ comfort throughout the day.
Please note the $532 rate is inclusive of a $37 Department of Environment Fee.
On days of nil sightings of White Sharks, all guests will be refunded $100 and provided a $200 voucher off a future tour.