Plovdiv Sightseeing private walking tour
Plovdiv is the oldest still living city in Europe inhabited since 6000 years B. C. Famous historical monuments include the Roman Stadium, the Ancient Theatre, the charming Old Town with many National Revival period houses, the Djumaia mosque etc.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Private tour
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees: House-museums ticket (3 EURO)
- Food and drinks
- Plovdiv (population: 338 000) is the second largest city in Bulgaria, considered by most people as the most beautiful Bulgarian town. Situated at 160 m. a. s. l., Plovdiv is an important administrative centre in Southern Bulgaria, as well as the largest and most important city of the historical region of Thrace, famous for its ancient and diverse culture and millenary history. Plovdiv is 150 km away from the capital Sofia and only 75 km from the international ski resort Pamporovo. Plovdiv is regarded as the gate to the beautiful Rhodope Mountains which are few kilometers away, as most people who head for the mountains choose it as their starting point. The city is located on both banks of the Maritsa River in the central part of the Upper Thracian Lowlands. Plovdiv is particularly known, like Rome, for its seven hills, one of which has been destroyed. A couple of key thoroughfares cross the city, including the one connecting Sofia and Europe with Istanbul and Asia, as well as the one between Sofia and Bourgas (Black sea coast). The Plovdiv International Fair, the first in the country since 1892, is the largest fair in Southeastern Europe, gathering companies from all over the world on an exhibition area of 95 000 sq. m.
Plovdiv is an eternal town. The foundations of the town on the seven hills by the ancient Maritza River were laid some 8 000 years ago. Plovdiv is older than Rome, Athens and Constantinople. The city is of the same age as Troy and Mycenae. According to some sources this is the second oldest European city and the oldest still living city in Europe. Plovdiv is all in one: a Thracian and classical Greek polis, the pride of Philip of Macedonia, the capital of Thrace under the Roman Empire, a centre of Byzantinism, a stronghold of the Bulgarians, a dream of the crusaders, a magnificent, wealthy and most important city. Plovdiv’s motto is: “Ancient and eternal”. In 1999 Plovdiv was supporting European capital of culture. In September 2014 Plovdiv was chosen to be the European capital of culture in 2019.
On this sightseeing tour visit the most impressive landmarks in town like The Old Plovdiv - an architectural and historical reserve, situated on the Three Hills. Here picturesque houses of the National Revival period stand close to ruins from antiquity and Bulgarian Renaissance churches. The Roman Theatre from II century that we discover on our way has been restored and is being used even today for different performances and festivals. The walk continues down to the partly uncovered Roman Stadium and the 14-th century Djumaia Mosque. At the end stroll along the long and lovely main pedestrian commercial street with many cafes and shops to feel the unique laid back atmosphere of this spectacular city.
Tour duration: 2.5 hours
Departure Point :Ramada by Wyndham Plovdiv Trimontium, ul. "Kapitan Raycho Nikolov" 2, 4000 Tsentar, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Nebet Tepe, 4000 Tsentar, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Оur company applies all the COVID-19 connected Bulgarian and European Union regulations for safe travelling. All our guides and drivers wear protective masks and gloves during the tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.